Destruction at Mount

nek

Dec 7, 2008
Playing devils advocate :jd: here. These folks probably don't know what a cellar hole is or its significance. It's a shame that its not possible for the state or one of the non-profits to put something as simple as a sign at an historic spot to signify what it is. If someone then trashed it, I'd be all in favor of castrating them or worse :D

Maybe the state could finally set aside an area where these folks could go to play, like was promised :words: It really can't be that hard to do.

Good point. I often find myself out in my truck, and while I do stay on the trails I'd like to know the significance of a cellar hole, or it's origination.

If these depression are important, it really is a shame that they're not better marked.

3353006243_96230afe4b_o.jpg

3353826878_66f1a62021_o.jpg

Oct 25, 2006
Nice pics Chuck, i really do not want to see it, but it is definitely time for a fence or guardrails like the one in Friendship, maybe some of those bricks and stones can be saved.

Jim

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I hate to bring this up again... but with the nice weather yesterday I took a several mile hike in the Batsto area. Upon coming up to Mount, I discovered even more damage had been done since my last visit back in March. :argh:

Here are a few pictures... there wasn't "fresh" dirt turned up, but there were certainly even more bricks churned up, and crushed. And, to top it all off some idiot decided to use it as a FIREPIT! :argh::(. I had a friend along with me who had never even been there before, I mentioned that it's been talked about how the state should put a guardrail up. In his opinion, the site had already pretty much been destroyed.

Taken 4/26/09:

picture.php

Firepit in the cellar hole
picture.php

Bricks along the side
picture.php

Crushed bricks
picture.php

Burned logs
picture.php

Bricks dug up and tossed around.

Here are some from March, when I went with Chuck (Maxwellandson), and his son (Bubbamax) to the site:

picture.php

picture.php

We all cleaned up a bit

Its a shame, but this site is really getting to the point of needing a guardrail.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Nice of you guys to clean up. I would almost say that rather than put a rail up they should just fill it in and cover it over.

oh and that would be SO much better than people driving threw it???????:bang: i don't support going off of teh main trail, but if people are complaing about it "getting destroyed", how could you even suggest filling it in? it would take away the historic factor all together right?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
oh and that would be SO much better than people driving threw it???????:bang: i don't support going off of teh main trail, but if people are complaing about it "getting destroyed", how could you even suggest filling it in? it would take away the historic factor all together right?

Not at all. It could always be excavated later by professionals if that was deemed worthwhile. There is a lot of precedent for covering over historic sites to protect them from neanderthal testosterone freaks and relic hunters. Martha Furnace is one example. I would much rather that nothing have to change, but if the only answer to these dumbass wheelers is guard rails in the woods I'd rather they just fill the damn thing in.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Hey Mt if you were along the batsto then you might have seen a blue canoe fishin, my bro and me were chillin on the water , it was a gorgeous day for being in the pines.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Hey Tom, I heard about that... I put my reply over in the Snake ID thread. It was a great day to be out there, temperatures were in the 90s, but it didn't feel as hot. The GPS registered at just about 7 miles.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Not at all. It could always be excavated later by professionals if that was deemed worthwhile. There is a lot of precedent for covering over historic sites to protect them from neanderthal testosterone freaks and relic hunters. Martha Furnace is one example. I would much rather that nothing have to change, but if the only answer to these dumbass wheelers is guard rails in the woods I'd rather they just fill the damn thing in.

It is true there is precedent, like Martha, but it seems like filling in a celler hole when there is little else to preserve is basically elminating the historical site altogether. Also, personally, it seems to me that the main value of these areas are in our heads. That is to say, the appreciation we have for history. If you bury the remains, it is no longer there for us to appreciate and only holds value for an archeologist who might or might not dig it up in the future.

I don't think they should have buried Martha.

Jeff

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
It is true there is precedent, like Martha, but it seems like filling in a celler hole when there is little else to preserve is basically elminating the historical site altogether. Also, personally, it seems to me that the main value of these areas are in our heads. That is to say, the appreciation we have for history. If you bury the remains, it is no longer there for us to appreciate and only holds value for an archeologist who might or might not dig it up in the future.

I don't think they should have buried Martha.

Jeff

It's a catch-22 situation, I guess. I don't want anything buried, but I don't want guard rails in the woods, either.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
King, do you know where the area is around frames 26-40? I have a sinking feeling that is East of the Batsto River, and just south of where the Skit enters the Batsto. That is a very special place botanically.

I know where you are thinking about Bob, but I don't think that is it. I think they were just south of the tracks below rider's switch, west of high crossing. there is alot of Truck damage in there and the area is very sensitive.

You know, why don't we just put up a sign next to Mount stating that it is a historical landmark. These guys in the photo don't look like kids, they should really know better. They are ignorant, I guess. Maybe a sign would make them think twice.

Is there anyway to contact these people?

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I know where you are thinking about Bob, but I don't think that is it. I think they were just south of the tracks below rider's switch, west of high crossing. there is alot of Truck damage in there and the area is very sensitive.

You know, why don't we just put up a sign next to Mount stating that it is a historical landmark. These guys in the photo don't look like kids, they should really know better. They are ignorant, I guess. Maybe a sign would make them think twice.

Is there anyway to contact these people?

Jeff

I agree about the sign Jeff. I've been thinking of that for my area at Forked River Mountain. They have really eroded one side of it. I've also though of a dumping sign that will be posted on Dover Road in Bamber Lake:

WARNING: IF YOU DUMP HERE WE WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I agree about the sign Jeff. I've been thinking of that for my area at Forked River Mountain. They have really eroded one side of it. I've also though of a dumping sign that will be posted on Dover Road in Bamber Lake:

WARNING: IF YOU DUMP HERE WE WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU!

that is a good idea for a sign, but it should read: WARNING: IF YOU DUMP HERE WE WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU...AND THEN DUMP YOU IN THE WOODS!!

I was thinking the sign at Mount could be a little less threatening though.

BTW the spot where I think the photos were taken is here;
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.7586882750465&lng=-74.66673374176025&z=16&type=topo&gpx=

You can actually see the damage form the aerial.

I know where you are thinking and I know it gets abused sometimes also.

Jeff