New name

B

bach2yoga

Well, a couple of my friends have given me a new nickname.

"Swamp fox", after Francis Marion, because of my penchants for swamps and war history.

Whatcha think? I kinda like it!
Renee

B

bach2yoga

bunnymom3 said:
Yep might have to rename him since I've never seen him crawl around on his belly.

Not yet...we'll get him in a swamp and see how he does. That's about the only way to get through the Great Swamp! :D
Renee

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
bach2yoga said:
Not yet...we'll get him in a swamp and see how he does. That's about the only way to get through the Great Swamp! :D
Renee

Sounds like fun. I've got to try that this year.

Steve

Oh it is fun! Joe and I did it last year. (Without kids, of course). Count us in when you do go! There's a lot of cool areas towards the middle--the brush opens up to huge areas where all the cedars are knocked over (don't know why) and there is water all underneath, so you have to hop logs to get through...like being a kid again!
Renee

bach2yoga said:
Oh it is fun! Joe and I did it last year. (Without kids, of course). Count us in when you do go! There's a lot of cool areas towards the middle--the brush opens up to huge areas where all the cedars are knocked over (don't know why) and there is water all underneath, so you have to hop logs to get through...like being a kid again!
Renee

Renee,

Since you've done this before why don't you suggest a point A to point B and I'll take a look at it to try to plot a course. When do you suggest is the best time of year?

Anyone else interested?

Steve

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
bach2yoga said:
Renee

Renee,

Since you've done this before why don't you suggest a point A to point B and I'll take a look at it to try to plot a course. When do you suggest is the best time of year?

Anyone else interested?

Steve

Spring is great for it, after the days start to lengthen. Need all of the sunlight hours you can, and a very early start--8 am at the vert least. We were looking for cougars. :p We used point A as the road alongside of Batsto that runs next to the swamp. I'll look at the maps later today and make some suggestions. The fallen log area is right before the P on the map where it says "Great SwamP"

It's definitely an all day thing.

I'm mostly stuck inside this weekend, between birthdays and college exams, with the exception of a trail cleanup for a couple of hours today. :cry: At least Joe will be out, he's doing the wilderness survival today. So I'll have to live vicariously through you guys this weekend I guess. Have fun on your hike! Let us know how it goes.

Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"ve been called a stumpjumper a few times.I consider myself very accomplished at this art though i do misjudge occassionally.I"ve also been called other things that I can"t mention here especially when i return home after a bad miss and drop the resulting mess of clothing on top of the white clothes:-0
Al

B

bach2yoga

manumuskin said:
I"ve been called a stumpjumper a few times.I consider myself very accomplished at this art though i do misjudge occassionally.I"ve also been called other things that I can"t mention here especially when i return home after a bad miss and drop the resulting mess of clothing on top of the white clothes:-0
Al

I like that nickname, stumpjumper!
Renee

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
bach2yoga, hi renee, so youd like to be foxy............its a nice name as any...........youre right,though...........swamps are fascinating places........i used to enjoy especially visiting them in the deep of winter ,when they were frozen over and you could tour the whole place and see things you never could get to in the summer......that was in new england though..........with the iceless winters in nj,that would be a little dangerous............has anyone ever seen quicksand in jersey...........i suspect there is very little actual quicksand around.........most of it here is just deep mud..................real quicksand is usually mixed heavily with water in motion....karl

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
KARL said:
bach2yoga, hi renee, so youd like to be foxy............its a nice name as any...........youre right,though...........swamps are fascinating places........i used to enjoy especially visiting them in the deep of winter ,when they were frozen over and you could tour the whole place and see things you never could get to in the summer.....

Karl,

The cold weather we have had has been good for walking the swamps, which I did last weekend.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/02142004/IMG_3089.jpg

But things are changing because I got my feet wet this weekend.

Guy