favorite spot to stargaze in the pines

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
leaning against the cranberry warehouse ruins near Hampton Furnace. Tonight the milky

leaning against the cranberry warehouse ruins near Hampton Furnace. Tonight the milky way seemed a glittering veil, close enough to touch. you didn't see
the milky way out there did you

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
leaning against the cranberry warehouse ruins near Hampton Furnace. Tonight the milky way seemed a glittering veil, close enough to touch. you didn't see
the milky way out there did you

Yes I did. I made up the description--it's hard to put into words. Stand beside those frosted old stones, the dark junipers huddled all around, and look up into that sky! The deepest icy black you could wish for, and the stars . . . Milky way, the dippers, and countless others. Wish I were more of an astronomer and could have named them. No city-glow that we noticed.
--G

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Speaking of astronomy clubs, that reminded me... The South Jersey Astronomy club has a good viewing location in the southern Pine Barrens. Belleplain State Forest (northern Cape May County) has very dark skies which allow for some great stargazing. It's one of the few places I've camped where you can't even see your hand in front of your face at night. It's dark-- though not as dark as Cherry Spring in PA (mentioned above), which is considered a designated dark sky area. Special mesaures in place up there throughout the park and surrounding townships are designed to cut down on any light pollution.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
Do any of you find there are way more stars out in the winter/spring

Do any of you find there are way more stars out on a clear night in the winter/spring then in summer in PB

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Do any of you find there are way more stars out on a clear night in the winter/spring then in summer in PB

Well, winter vs summer you're always going to see different stars thanks to the earths axis. In terms of visibility though you're going to be able to see more in the winter as the air is clearer and the humidity is less. In the summer you're going to have more humidity and haze in the air which will reflect light from the earths surface and viewing more difficult.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is the old Joel Mick bog and is private. If you have been going there I hope you have permission. :)

Guy

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
What about the few open spots on 563?

I have the google earth light pollution overlay and the bog is right in the middle
of the least amount of light pollution.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have the google earth light pollution overlay and the bog is right in the middle
of the least amount of light pollution.

I just looked for that on Google Earth and could not find it.

Guy

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
Go to post 31

Go to post 31. I have the link. Its a program you download. Its simple
but great