any solo camping issues?

• Thread starter TabernacleNative
  • Start date
T

TabernacleNative

I'm a solo guy. I do my hikes solo and I've done my kayak trips solo. I want to do some wilderness ovenights this spring and summer. Anybody have any issues while out there in the Pines?? (especially out at Mullica Camp or Lower Forge??)

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
There are always safety concerns when you do anything in the woods or on our waters alone, not just camping. Going it alone always involves a certain amount of risk, and is generally advised against in any “official” recommendation or outdoor clinic. That being said, I break that rule all the time. After all, incidents happen to other folks, certainly not to me :rolleyes:. But such is life. Sometimes you need to enjoy something alone.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
As you get closer to the summer and into the season, the more people are around and the more chance of having others spoil your time. During the summer months you also have the tick problem. Do your camping in the spring and fall.

BlueMoonMuskrat

Explorer
Sep 12, 2008
i'd imagine you're an easier target for the wolves and coyotes if you're solo.... i'd at least bring a big knife or a strong stick

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
I'm a solo guy. I do my hikes solo and I've done my kayak trips solo. I want to do some wilderness ovenights this spring and summer. Anybody have any issues while out there in the Pines?? (especially out at Mullica Camp or Lower Forge??)
your fine. may find the company in other tents annoying. but its safe. camp as far from the center as you can. im planning a Batona hike in 2 weeks. using Lower forge as mid-point.

T

TabernacleNative

your fine. may find the company in other tents annoying. but its safe. camp as far from the center as you can. im planning a Batona hike in 2 weeks. using Lower forge as mid-point.

I was out on the Batona today in Lebanon and was planning the same thing, trying to figure the best legs to do and where to camp. The problem is once you get to Batsto going towards Bass River, the camp grounds thin out. I figured it'd be OK out there, of all the hikes I've done all over the Pines, if I run into 3 other people I'm amazed. It's always empty.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I think the plans are under way already.

Feds will buy some, large preservation groups will buy more, townships already own some.......etc, etc.

Buy some of the land ourselves.

Get a few guys together and purchase small parcels.

Don't let the greedy ones get their grubby hands on it.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
i'd imagine you're an easier target for the wolves and coyotes if you're solo.... i'd at least bring a big knife or a strong stick

I wouldn't worry at all about coyotes. The chances of a coyote attacking an adult human are virtually nil. I've hiked thousands of miles in the pines (probably several hundred miles after dark) and I've also solo camped a bunch of times. While I've heard coyotes howl dozens of times, I've only actually seen them three times, and as soon as they detected me they ran away as fast as they could.

I can't say I've ever seen a wolf in the NJ pine barrens.

T

TabernacleNative

I hafta agree with OldCrazy, I've heard the coyotes way off and I even came across one (hiking in Medford go figure) but he just watched me go by as I watched him go by. I did have my hand on my big knife though, just in case! As for wolves, I didn't think we have them out East. After all my ventures in the Pines, I'm doubtful of the 2 or 3 bears they've said we have out there too. Never seen a single sign of them.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I've never seen a bear either and I suspect the people who claim they've seen the Jersey Devil are the same people who leave the empty whisky bottles behind that I pick up off the ground. :rofl:

TabernacleNative, make sure you keep that knife concealed. NJ knife laws are as restrictive as NJ gun laws. Essentially, the law says you can only have a knife in your possession for a 'lawful purpose.' I don't think self defense would be considered a lawful purpose. The state of NJ considers it immoral to use a gun or a knife outside of your home to defend yourself against an assailant who threatens you with death or serious bodily injury. I guess they think we should read an attacker a poem or something to try and calm him down. :colbert:

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
My grandfather used to walk around the streets of Paterson with a machete on his belt. As a teen, I questioned the legality of it and he claimed that it was legal as long as it wasn’t concealed. I wouldn’t want to argue that point with a police officer, especially in an urban area, but then again, I would imagine few people wanted to argue with him as well. It's nice to be old and eccentric!

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
I have hiked 100s of miles of the pines with at least 10 overnights solo and never had any real problems..accept

1) During my Batona I camped at Lower Forge there was an entire family camped there blasting radios and making noise real late. Not what I wanted after a 25 plus mile hiking day.. but not much I could do about it..

2) A male deer snorting at me near Quaker Bridge. I was afraid he was gonna attack but luckily it all worked out...

Never saw The Jersey Devil, Big foot, bear (accept at popcorn park)

One day in the future the powers that be will decide that since nobody uses the woods we may as well build on them. It will happen one day!

Guy

I'm just worried that "the Powers that be" will decide that in these economic times, since nobody uses the woods, they might as well close them to the public! (Actually that might be an improvement since I consider myself a "private citizen", so I guess I'm exempt! :ninja:LOL)

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I'd really like to see them try to close Wharton, just on the western side of 206 and south side of Jackson Rd. they'd have to block off a minimum of 23 entrances not including the bordering backyards that have trails going into it. it would cost more to shut the woods down and patrol to keep people out than what it cost now.