coywolf

Nov 8, 2007
Are our yotes coy-wolves as well?

I like how the article takes great pains to mention New York and Pennsylvania but completely ignores New Jersey... the rest of the nation really does believe we are just one big city...:rolleyes: It really gets on my nerves

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Are our yotes coy-wolves as well?

There would need to be some DNA testing done to the animals in NJ to determine that. In NY, with the animal that was shot on the Tug Hill Plateau that was thought to be a full bred wolf, it took several years to make the determination it was not a full bred wolf, but a cross-breed.

The best place to see a wolf in NJ is at the Lakota Wolf Preserve in Sussex County. You can't mistake one of them for a yote. :D

http://www.lakotawolf.com/

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There would need to be some DNA testing done to the animals in NJ to determine that. In NY, with the animal that was shot on the Tug Hill Plateau that was thought to be a full bred wolf, it took several years to make the determination it was not a full bred wolf, but a cross-breed.

The best place to see a wolf in NJ is at the Lakota Wolf Preserve in Sussex County. You can't mistake one of them for a yote. :D

http://www.lakotawolf.com/

funny you should put this site up.me and momma are headed there this weekend:)
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
funny you should put this site up.me and momma are headed there this weekend:)
Al

And we are headed down your way for the vintage races : )

Lakota is a neat experience, Yellowstone is even better : )

medium.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
[Lakota is a neat experience, Yellowstone is even better : )

medium.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I am no fan of that blasted racetrack but I am right there with you when it comes to loving wolves:)
Al
ps
i can hear the incessant whine right through the closed window glass as I speak.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am no fan of that blasted racetrack but I am right there with you when it comes to loving wolves:)
Al
ps
i can hear the incessant whine right through the closed window glass as I speak.

I'm suprised the town didn't require better muffling and more restrictions. It can be done. Lime Rock Park in CT does not have any racing or events on Sundays and they are muffled, been like that for decades and hasn't hurt the racing one bit. I couldn't take the noise from the airport and the track if I lived there either, but I do like the vintage racin'.

large.jpg

If you never been and get the chance, try to get out to Yellowstone. Nothing like sitting in the sage in the early morning and watching them hunt. There is an entire sub-culture out there of wolf watchers.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Saw a neat black wolf in Yellowstone last year. That and a grizzly were the highlights of that trip. Amazing seeing these animals in the wild.

They just re-listed the Yellowstone Grizzly fter having been unlisted, over 200 were killed in the past year, but their numbers are still very high. What time of year were you there?

107238080.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I'm suprised the town didn't require better muffling and more restrictions. It can be done. Lime Rock Park in CT does not have any racing or events on Sundays and they are muffled, been like that for decades and hasn't hurt the racing one bit. I couldn't take the noise from the airport and the track if I lived there either, but I do like the vintage racin'.

If you never been and get the chance, try to get out to Yellowstone. Nothing like sitting in the sage in the early morning and watching them hunt. There is an entire sub-culture out there of wolf watchers.

I am two miles straight line from the track and it is pretty bad here,at least if you like listening to birds and such from your yard.it probably wouldn't annoy most people that don't listen to sounds.there are people who live much closer then i do in millville and it is horrendous there.
Just what is it about racing you like? Almost all the people around here are for it.I live in a major redneck area which is great for me because I'm kind of half redneck and half not.
Is it the cars? I admit some are right purty.I hate the noise but some people actually like it,I don't think I'll ever understand that.I can see where it would be exciting to actually be the one racing but i can't see why it is exciting to watch it unless your witing for someone to get hurt which is actually morbid if thats why people like it.If you personally know someone who is racing then rooting for them would be cool but to root for someone you don't know and have never talked to I can't figure out either.I guess thats why I'm not a sports fan either unless it's the grandkids.Then I know the person I'm rooting for.
Whip is a sports fan and we have had this discussion.I guess it's like when someone asks me why I cave or crawl through swamps.You have to "go to know" and if your mind is already against it there is no point in going.I personally refuse to ever set foot on that track but i do have a grandson who thinks it's the bomb.I guess it truly is "to each his own".
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just what is it about racing you like?

I guess it truly is "to each his own".
Al

I use to race back in the 60's, had a Triumph TR4 and ran in SCCA club races. I have a soft spot for old British cars, I restore them, have 2 in my garage now. The noise never bothered me.

I guess your right about "to each his own" as I don't care much for NASCAR or drag racing.

One of my almost completed projects;

85208130.jpg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I use to race back in the 60's, had a Triumph TR4 and ran in SCCA club races. I have a soft spot for old British cars, I restore them, have 2 in my garage now. The noise never bothered me.

I guess your right about "to each his own" as I don't care much for NASCAR or drag racing.

85208130.jpg

wow! nice ride! My baby sitters' husband has an old triumph, I can't recall which model and it is always under the cover.

Al, I really think "to each his own" really sums it up. When I tell people about what I do with PBX they think I am insane.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore

85208130.jpg

XKE's were one of my all time favorites. I did the SCCA racing in the 60's and 70's with a MGB, I had two of them, Vineland and Watkins Glen. What fun, what memories.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
XKE's were one of my all time favorites. I did the SCCA racing in the 60's and 70's with a MGB, I had two of them, Vineland and Watkins Glen. What fun, what memories.

I raced at Lime Rock and the Bridge. As a far as I know I was the last car to ever run at Bridgehamton, twas all by myself, its a bit of a long story :D

I thought Vineland closed in '66?

I plan to get started on this one, a '72. this winter, been thinking of making it a SVRA car, but its in such good shape I can't decide which way to go.

117853078.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i must admit i do have a thing for 57 fords.anything with tailfins actually.you see i was a batman freak as a kid and used to run around the house in a cap singing nun annunna nun annunna BATMAN!
grew up in my dads old 57 ford.his didn't spit fire out the tailpipes though.
Al

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
coy-wolf at Jakes branch Park

I meant to post this a few weeks ago after I visited Jakes Branch Park off of Dover road. they have a nature center in there. They have two stuffed coyotes. One is typical, the other (in a seperate display) is definitely of the coy-wolf variety. Seeing the differences next to each other is amazing. Besides the size and coloration (the coy-wolf is darker) you can clearly see the broadness of the coy-wolf head and the power in it's jaws. Far more intimidating that the classic coyote.

It occured to me that I had seen an identicle animal to the coy-wolf on display in greenwood WMA about 7 year ago. I thought it was a coy-dog, because it was clearly not pure yote. And, it had puppies.

The two puppies I saw recently in Stafford forge were more likely of the coy-wolf and the one my wife saw on the parkway a few years back also. I have seen the more "pure" coyote as well in the Hammonton area.

Anyway, get out and check out that thing at Jake's Branch.

Jeff

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
Coyote Sighted This Morning

After covering many (thousands) miles of biking, hiking and dual-sporting for the past 6-7 years (nearly every weekend/year-round) in the Pines, I finally spotted a coyote this morning.

And of course, the only camera I had was the less than able iPhone camera - which I was too slow on the draw with anyway.

I was on my mountain bike, cut across the power-line easement near the bend off Jackson road and thought I saw a deer scoot across a sandy bend (near the pump house ruins). I looked at the tracks as I passed and thought.... humm, not deer tracks.

About 45 seconds after that I was riding down the trail that leads back to my place and connects two very straight, long parallel dikes. As I passed (the long view down a dike) I noticed something moving away from me on the path. I rode past about ten feet, dropped the bike and walked back to look.

There he was, about 40-50 yards down looking over his shoulder - stopped. I stared at him, while reaching for my iPhone (camera). He then quickly moved about two steps in my direction and kinda raised up (a little aggressively) -- like he was reaching in the air to catch a whiff and looked straight at me. As I unlock the phone, he turned and quickly went off into the underbrush. Very exciting bike ride this morning. This encounter tops the white deer sighting as the coolest wildlife sighting in the Pine Barrens for me.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.82273...2284,-74.82984,3.5 km SxSE of Taunton Lake NJ

ed

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
They werre having problems a few years ago with aggressive "coyotes" near Earle Ammunition Depot in Monmouth County. I had heard that they had brought a "bigger" type of coyote there years back to kill deer. I had heard they were a larger, western breed but it seems likely after reading this that these were the coyote-wolf mix breed.