Sunrise at 1/4 Mile Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Dave,

I have no idea who is doing this sort of thing, and I have never witnessed anyone doing it. So you have to get it out of your head that I know everything. I only know a few people who post on the Scar blog and have only met the originator of it once. I doubt he would tell me if he was doing this which I am positive he is not. Other than that I know manumuskin (the other Al) and I know who Pines Lover is and have been near him but have never actually talked to him, and I can also tell you he is not doing this sort of thing.

Let me give you a little advice if you don't mind. Years ago I would post on almost every thread and give my opinion on everything. I now find that after typing a post I read it over and debate in my head it's merits. More often than not I delete it and don't post. I have less headaches, less tension, and less members mad at me.

Guy
i know how you feel , i hold back alot of things untill a certain point where i just have cut in somewhere , and dave is right , im not saying you know who , but whoever left those spikes out made it pretty clear on the scar blog who it was

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yeah, there is no reason to confront them at the scene of the crime. I'm just recommending getting the photos and writing up the detail and submitting that to the authorities. The confrontation would then be at the courthouse in front of plenty of witnesses....

Thus the need for citizen action. If law enforcement people and citizens would step up their vigilance and determination, the cracks would be fewer and smaller. It may very well be that someone made a deliberate choice to let things go at 1/4 mile....

We are not helpless.

Russ, with all due respect, the suggestion for citizens to play detective is ill conceived. Law enforcement is aware of the problem; they know where and when these activities take place. They have complaints on file. Pressure from citizens should be directed towards those authorities to do their job and toward reporting these activities, not putting themselves in a situation that may cause some form of retaliation. Is it too much to ask of the authorites to enforce the laws and regulations they took an oath to do? I believe that would ensure a higher conviction rate. The pines can be a very lonely place when you are alone facing a problem; be it a broken down vehicle, a sprained ankle or a group of angry, intoxicated people.

If someone within the DEP, or any state agency, made a choice to ignore this issue, they should be ferreted out and prosecuted alongside those doing the damage.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Alfred Shumate
via pinelandsimagery.comIt's ashame booby traps are illegal.I'd like to ruin those nice big tires.

its kinda random he'd say that since no one else had mentioned it in that blog

Al is a friends of mine and was joking. He was not the person who placed it there. Maybe he should not have posted that, but I can assure you he did not place anything anywhere. Period!

Thank you for letting me know that you and maybe others felt he may have done that. He didn't.

Guy

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Al is a friends of mine and was joking. He was not the person who placed it there. Maybe he should not have posted that, but I can assure you he did not place anything anywhere. Period!

Thank you for letting me know that you and maybe others felt he may have done that. He didn't.

Guy

why would he just randonly throw that joke in there when everything else he said has been serious ? i dont know you guy but you seem like a great person that i would love to spend the day in the pines hiking with and soaking up as much info as i could , but im not to sure about alfred

russ

Aug 23, 2010
Russ, with all due respect, the suggestion for citizens to play detective is ill conceived. Law enforcement is aware of the problem; they know where and when these activities take place. They have complaints on file. Pressure from citizens should be directed towards those authorities to do their job and toward reporting these activities, not putting themselves in a situation that may cause some form of retaliation. Is it too much to ask of the authorites to enforce the laws and regulations they took an oath to do? I believe that would ensure a higher conviction rate. The pines can be a very lonely place when you are alone facing a problem; be it a broken down vehicle, a sprained ankle or a group of angry, intoxicated people.

If someone within the DEP, or any state agency, made a choice to ignore this issue, they should be ferreted out and prosecuted alongside those doing the damage.

Thanks for the reply 46. I kind of think it's the duty of citizens to protect public property and report criminal activity. For example, if I see a reckless driver on the hwy, I call it in. Who knows? Maybe I save somebody's life. In this case of the ORV destruction, the authorities are having a hard time dealing with it for a variety of reasons. First, we hear through the grapevine that some of the law enforcement people are actually offenders. Not sure if that's true, but it's a familiar tune. Second, the State police don't consider it a priority, what with highway accidents and all. Third, the state forest police are not inclined to cite people, because they are short staffed and tied up with what they consider more urgent matters. So, no, we can't count on them. Conservation Officers are tied up on the WMA's. Finally, I don't think we can ferret out anybody at DEP and prosecute them for anything. How could you prove that they have actually committed a crime? I think we are left with a tough choice. Do we sit back and watch it happen and cry in our beer, or do we get up do something about it?

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Thanks for the reply 46. I kind of think it's the duty of citizens to protect public property and report criminal activity. For example, if I see a reckless driver on the hwy, I call it in. Who knows? Maybe I save somebody's life. In this case of the ORV destruction, the authorities are having a hard time dealing with it for a variety of reasons. First, we hear through the grapevine that some of the law enforcement people are actually offenders. Not sure if that's true, but it's a familiar tune. Second, the State police don't consider it a priority, what with highway accidents and all. Third, the state forest police are not inclined to cite people, because they are short staffed and tied up with what they consider more urgent matters. So, no, we can't count on them. Conservation Officers are tied up on the WMA's. Finally, I don't think we can ferret out anybody at DEP and prosecute them for anything. How could you prove that they have actually committed a crime? I think we are left with a tough choice. Do we sit back and watch it happen and cry in our beer, or do we get up do something about it?

i dont beleive in every citizen taking the law into there own hands , my and my friends try to stop as many assholes as we can but you can only do so much , i almost got in a fist fight at a differant spot in the pines trying to stop some delinquent activity , it couldve turned out really bad and nothing still wouldve been resolved , it seems like people are only picking on 1/4 mile when right down 206 there is another getting way more destroyed , but because its not such a big eco deal in your eyes no one is doing anything about this area , take trip to this location and tell me how you feel about that , theres nothing but tons of trash and young kids just destroying the entire area and one night with the way they act someone is going to get killed http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.724047317922924&lng=-74.72116112709045&z=17&type=h&gpx=

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks for the reply 46. I kind of think it's the duty of citizens to protect public property and report criminal activity....

I think we are left with a tough choice. Do we sit back and watch it happen and cry in our beer, or do we get up do something about it?

I could not agree more, as mentioned in my post. In the end it is a personal decision, but the way emotions are running on the various blogs and forums, I would hope no one gets into a situation that would take this issue to a whole new level.

There is no excuse for the legal authorities inaction; they received the large portion in last years budget, no cuts, and still hiring. In the recent past, concerted efforts have been made by those authorities for similar situations in different locations with positive results. One has to wonder why a similar approach cannot be done at 1/4 mile and the other sites, such as Greenwood and Stafford Forge WMA's, that are seeing similar activity, as it is not limited to 1/4 mile.

Hopefully smarter heads will prevail and the appropriate parties can sit down and come up with a solution before it gets completely out of hand.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
I could not agree more, as mentioned in my post. In the end it is a personal decision, but the way emotions are running on the various blogs and forums, I would hope no one gets into a situation that would take this issue to a whole new level.

There is no excuse for the legal authorities inaction; they received the large portion in last years budget, no cuts, and still hiring. In the recent past, concerted efforts have been made by those authorities for similar situations in different locations with positive results. One has to wonder why a similar approach cannot be done at 1/4 mile and the other sites, such as Greenwood and Stafford Forge WMA's, that are seeing similar activity, as it is not limited to 1/4 mile.

Hopefully smarter heads will prevail and the appropriate parties can sit down and come up with a solution before it gets completely out of hand.
the only thing making it out of hand is everyone on here bitching about it , if you think something should be done , go out there your self and handle it , i bet you dont got the balls to , everyone hides behind a computor and complains all the time , i bet if you did go out there half the people would actually understand what your saying and the other half well....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
the only thing making it out of hand is everyone on here bitching about it , if you think something should be done , go out there your self and handle it , i bet you dont got the balls to , everyone hides behind a computor and complains all the time , i bet if you did go out there half the people would actually understand what your saying and the other half well....

It would appear your part of the problem.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
I wish I had a laptop to hide behind when I am out at 1/4 miles taking photo
your another one who talks alot but have you confronted anyone face to face ? ill meet up with anyone at any time and discuss whatever needs to be discussed , im not trying to start anything , but unless someone has has the balls to say things face to face they shouldnt sit behind a computor and talk smack

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
your another one who talks alot but have you confronted anyone face to face ? ill meet up with anyone at any time and discuss whatever needs to be discussed , im not trying to start anything , but unless someone has has the balls to say things face to face they shouldnt sit behind a computor and talk smack

So I should go back to 1/4 mile at night unarmed and argue with a bunch of drunken 4wheelers breaking the law.

I have seen way to many angry, mad, drunken, stoned, tripping, fighting, bloodied, naked, copulating, passed out, adversarial, nasty, crime committing, staggering, fight starting, belligerent featherless bipeds in the Pines in my adventures in the last 35 years to know better.

Plus no ones paying for me to do that.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
So I should go back to 1/4 mile at night unarmed and argue with a bunch of drunken 4wheelers breaking the law.

I have seen way to many angry, mad, drunken, stoned, tripping, fighting, bloodied, naked, copulating, passed out, adversarial, nasty, crime committing, staggering, fight starting, belligerent featherless bipeds in the Pines in my adventures in the last 35 years to know better.

Plus no ones paying for me to do that.
Im just saying .... I personaly almost got into a fist fight back there standing up for the pines , you think everyone who four wheels is a bad guy , I four wheel but stand up for whats right and try to scum bags away , I also enjoy kayaking , hiking and geo caching , I particiapate in trail clean ups with jeep clubs and with geo cachers , so u can't just go blaming an entire comunity for a few loose screws , and your complain ho bad 1/4 mile is so why would u wanna go takes pics of a shit hole when there's thousands of nice spots to take pics of ? O yea because you just want to complain about something ! Read my post above with a map link to another area thats I've been trying to put an end to destruction but no one seems to care about that location so why is 1/4 mile such a big deal ????? You just wanna run your
mouth and jump on a band wagon

russ

Aug 23, 2010

There is no excuse for the legal authorities inaction; ...

What do you think about PPA's 10-point plan?

russ

Aug 23, 2010
...it seems like people are only picking on 1/4 mile when right down 206 there is another getting way more destroyed , but because its not such a big eco deal in your eyes no one is doing anything about this area , take trip to this location and tell me how you feel about that , theres nothing but tons of trash and young kids just destroying the entire area and one night with the way they act someone is going to get killed http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.724047317922924&lng=-74.72116112709045&z=17&type=h&gpx=

Nobody's picking on 1/4 mile. It's just being held up as an example. We are trying to address the whole problem. The spot you are pointing out is another good example, so thanks for the link. And if you are trying to stop people from doing idiotic things out there, that's great. Just like the rest of us, do what you can, but don't get into a physical confrontation.

Status
Not open for further replies.