Sunrise at 1/4 Mile Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
I been cleaning up the Pinelands for 30 years with various groups and by myself and have also adopted a road in my town that I clean up.

I also organize clean ups for Camden County's open space program as part of my job.

And I picked up the cans and bottles at the scar more than once.

Its to bad you make such statements and have no clue about what I have done and do.

Its very telling

Hooray for you ! You deserve a trophy !! You can say all you want about all you do , on a day of a big clean up you won't go help out everyone ?? I think your just scarred to show your face

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
Visited the scar this morning with friends and observed more wetlands destruction since last weekend. There where fresh tire tracks from last night and another fire spot.

Walked the entire location, many new trails tore through the forested wetlands to the damaged vernal pools.

Will these damaged pools hold water next spring, what will happen to the frog and salamander population that need them to reproduce?

Many frogs in the water filled wheel ruts, but do not see anything for them to eat.

I guess they are hard wired for those locations, I bet they will soon be raccoon food.

Towhees, morning doves, a common yellow throat and C chickadees around.

Also got a good view of a Cooper's hawk.

Don't see many birds when the activity is going on back there. I guess they are smart enough to flee, to bad the plants and frogs can't.

Deep ruts through a nice population of Pine Barrens smoke grass from the night before, the crushed stems were still bluish green but soon will wither and turn brown.

Crushed and dying yellow eyed grass, sundews, lobelias, meadow beauties, marsh St Johnswort and countless species of grasses and sedges where ever you look.

More damage to wetlands with populations of rare plants including:
Canby's lobelia
Large headed beack rush]
Pine Barrens reed grass
Pine Barrens smoke grass a globally imperiled species.
A friend who knows more about grass like plants found small population
Longs woolgrass, a extremely rare globally imperiled species, along the edge of a damaged wetlands.
Will it survive.

My hand shakes as I take another photo of dead and dying plants.

Why?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Ok cool or you could just change the subject again and totally avoid my last statement .... And since when do you need a special permit ??? As long as your vehicle is registerd and insured anyone is allowed back there

I think he means in regards to the Jamboree(or whatever event it is). You need a special permit to hold events like this, similar to the Enduros. Think the Pinelands Commission issues them.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I think this thread needs to be closed....

Both points are well taken....but this is not the place for "debate".

We wheel, we cache, we hike, we explore, we appreciate....Oh, Rodney...why can't we all just get along....

Nicky...I will be out there during the cleanup. Will I be hiking or wheeling? I don't know...but I will be cleaning up. And appreciating. And exploring. And eating wings at the Pic afterwards....

Pines Lover... Not all the people who drive the pines are bad...some of us just love to be out there and if we get to go through some mud it is a plus.

I will be more than willing to join you on your hike.....if we carry trash bags and clean as well....

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
I think this thread needs to be closed....

Both points are well taken....but this is not the place for "debate".

We wheel, we cache, we hike, we explore, we appreciate....Oh, Rodney...why can't we all just get along....

Nicky...I will be out there during the cleanup. Will I be hiking or wheeling? I don't know...but I will be cleaning up. And appreciating. And exploring. And eating wings at the Pic afterwards....

Pines Lover... Not all the people who drive the pines are bad...some of us just love to be out there and if we get to go through some mud it is a plus.

I will be more than willing to join you on your hike.....if we carry trash bags and clean as well....

This thread should be closed only after 1/4 mile is.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
12  08.26.10 Wharton erosion Pine Barrens Smoke Grass .jpg

The globally rare Pine Barren Smoke Grass, Muhlenbergia torreyana, a S3/G3 designated species from thurs. ran over on wed.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
With the damage done there, what are the odds the area can recover?

In time, with a little help it can.

There is also the problem of the illegal 4 wheelers bringing in invasive species, like Japanese stilt grass, which already has taken over forests in N Jersey, it loves disturbed soil and is already found on Hampton Road near Rt. 206.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
More photos from Thurs.

14  08.26.10 Wharton erosion Clay lens.jpg

Eroded Clay lens/layer that held water in vernal pool.

15  08.26.10 Wharton destroyed vernal pool.jpg

Destroyed vernal pool in foreground, once looked like background

13  08.26.10 Wharton recent trail through wetlands.jpg

Recent trail made through open and forested wetlands

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
In time, with a little help it can.

There is also the problem of the illegal 4 wheelers bringing in invasive species, like Japanese stilt grass, which already has taken over forests in N Jersey, it loves disturbed soil and is already found on Hampton Road near Rt. 206.

Invasives can be brought in by many means; hikers, legal 4 wheelers, horses and animals that roam and fly. Invasives in the waters as well, most likely brought in by canoers that don't properly clean their boats.

If the 'scar' is so far gone, it might be the perfect place to put an ORV park.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
don't you understand about if 1/4 mile gets closed the people will flock to another area and destroy that. Is that what you want to see?

So they should be allowed to continue to destroy the scar?

Most other areas do not have the rare and significant flora and fauna that the scar has.

Its really very simple.

That state should be compelled/forced to enforce NJ/Fed laws

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
Invasives can be brought in by many means; hikers, legal 4 wheelers, horses and animals that roam and fly. Invasives in the waters as well, most likely brought in by canoers that don't properly clean their boats.

If the 'scar' is so far gone, it might be the perfect place to put an ORV park.

Most are brought in by vehicles, most invasive species populations I have observed were in areas disturbed by ATV or 4 wheelers driving where they should not.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I agree that this thread should either be closed or moved to the slag heap. Everyone has more than adequately stated their points of view by now.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
Not until the problem is resolved.

People still need to know whats going on.

Even if you do not want to or cast blame on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.