Birthday trip

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Since turning 50 I've went on an annual canoe/fishing trip for my birthday. Tom M and I went out on Saturday, and it was a perfect day to be out. Hope you enjoy the photos.
Greg
me-start.jpg
This is Tom M.
Tom-start.jpg
This is me.
PICT0814.jpg
Is this a pitcher plant? It was in a swampy area where we got out of the canoe and did a bit of exploring.
PICT0804.jpg
This little guy was almost invisible. Any help on what kind of frog it is?
PICT0795.jpg
This fellow kept following my bait in, we actually netted him 4 times. He wouldn't give up.

There's more pictures I put in my gallery if you're interested. It was a great day.
Greg

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Happy Birthday! Saturday was a great day to go fishing. I spent it working, Sunday also.

Where were you fishing. Looks like you caught some nice fish.

Yes that is a pitcher plant. The frog looks like a Southern Leopard Frog.

Thank you for the report.

Chris

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Happy Birthday! Saturday was a great day to go fishing. I spent it working, Sunday also.

Where were you fishing. Looks like you caught some nice fish.

Yes that is a pitcher plant. The frog looks like a Southern Leopard Frog.

Thank you for the report.

Chris

We were at Batsto. We fished the lake and a good distance upstream and the fishing was the best we've had this year.. Thanks for the ID on the pitcher plant. I have some other flower pictures to post later. I've misplaced my field guide to wild flowers of the pine barrens so I may be asking for more ID help. I hope I didn't leave it somewhere out in the woods. There were some dry spots along the stream that are normally under water that had lots of yellow flowers blooming. I hope to post them tonight. Sorry you had to work the weekend, but I often do that also.
Greg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Nice report and happy birthday.
I really like the Batsto river in the vicinity of the lake. There is a real mixed bag of fish in that area including bass, crappie, pickerel and catfish. Caught my personal best pickerel there about 20 years ago.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Nice report and happy birthday.
I really like the Batsto river in the vicinity of the lake. There is a real mixed bag of fish in that area including bass, crappie, pickerel and catfish. Caught my personal best pickerel there about 20 years ago.

You're right, we've caught all of those, it's a good spot. Saturday Tom also caught a really nice sized panfish in addition to the bass and picks. Last year I caught my biggest pickerel in my "secret spot" back in the grassy area. In the process of unhooking it I also caught myself. I can laugh now about me and the fish on the same hook, but needless to say trying to flatten the barb to unhook me and the fish at the same time was a little interesting.
Greg