4 Rattlesnakes Along a Road

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
No. We walked right by them on the road. We had to have been 2 feet from them when we did. We traveled a short distance up the road and came back and I stood along the side of the road looking into the woods. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something and turned to my left and there they were. We were about 10 feet away from them at this point. They are very quiet snakes. My hearing is not that great, but on numerous occasions Jessica has heard pine snakes moving through the woods and that is how we found them. But these snakes are very very quiet and for the most part if you don't see them you most likely will pass right by them which we did.

Guy

That is amazing. What a treat.
When I take my dogs into the woods, I don't let them run because I can't trust them to not chase an animal into the next county. I don't think I've ever even considered them running into a gang like that one. Yikes.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Hey Guy, great pics and an amazing find!!! Probably a once in a lifetime thing to find 4 together other then at a den site. Oh yeah, Kudos to Jessica also. She's a better person than I standing there videoing the group!! LOL!!

One question to satisfy my curiosity, how much time did you spend taking the photos of the TR's?? Reason I ask is it seems they stayed there for sometime letting you guys admire them before heading off into the woods.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Don't be afraid of encountering rattlesnakes in the barrens. I will do my best to alleviate some of the fear. Rattlesnakes are a threat to nobody on this site in any way shape or form. They are a calm creature that want nothing to do with people. They don't pursue people they don't even want you to see them, they live in areas where most of you will never travel and rattlesnake bites almost never occur. Rattlesnakes have been here forever this is not something new its just new to see them on this forum in larger numbers. The rattlesnake bite occurred because the gentlemen harrassed and improperly pinned the snake, he admitted as much. I've seen 100's of rattlesnakes in the barrens, I've never had one threaten me and I've only heard maybe 5% of those rattle or show any aggression. Lastly, everything we've learned and had passed down is completely inaccurate about timber rattlesnakes, throw it out the window because its not fact. I'm not saying go out and get close to them and look for them, just don't be afraid that they are going to attack you, pursue you, etc.

Reactions: Chrisr and joc

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The fact they didn't move away is a compliment to Guy for not getting too close to them. Most people would poke them or get to close. Those snakes would sit there all day without anyone noticing they won't rattle because they don't want people to see them.

Reactions: joc

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Yeah, wow! I have some old photos of snakes I came upon down there way back. I live in the desert out west now. There's supposed to be a lot of rattlesnakes out here, but I actually used to see more in the Barrens and also up in Bear Mtn.-Harriman State Park where I used to go backpacking and hiking and swimming.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I had a hard drive crash and been down over a week.
The reason i thought they were mating is because they were laying side by side,the two on the left were and from having seen snakes mate before after the initial spiral around each other they usually wind up lying side by side while mating continues.I would never have suspected it was too early,summer is already well under way.For these snakes to have found each other I assume they were scent tracking each other???They would do that just for company?
I realy do believe yellowjackets are a much bigger menace to explorers of the pines.I quite frankly hate and despise them as much as some despise snakes.Just had a nest of them built in the leaves I raked up last fall and took to the roadside for the pick up crew who never came and picked them up.The dog went into the leaves to take a poop and got more then she expected.These yellowjackets are no longer a living entity.I hope me taking them mout does not disturb anyones sensitivities,I had three separate attacks on my person while clearing my side lot of brush a couple of years ago and have had two attacks in swamps where I could not run from them.I'd rather sleep with rattlers anyday."death to all yelloowjackets"
Al

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
To me the only menace that I found in the Barrens was TICKS. Those woods are teeming with them. How do you guys deal with that?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Y Buc Bill is not a new member....Been a member since 2007.Been in the Pines since 1942

Bill,

I software goes by the amount of posts you have. Right now you have 95 so it still considers you a new member. I believe it will change at 100. Please don't let that bother you.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
To me the only menace that I found in the Barrens was TICKS. Those woods are teeming with them. How do you guys deal with that?

In the coming weeks the ticks will start to subside. Usually by August we only have to deal with the chiggers for the most part. Some people here will say they are more annoying :)

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I agree Guy.Chiggers are more annoying.they don't carry diseases but once you get them on you they are almost impossible to get rid of in time.If your thorough you can get ticks off as you get them but chiggers will go through your socks and make mush out of your ankles in minutes.I hates them.Peremethrin rocks

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
"chiggers will go through your socks and make mush out of your ankles in minutes"

I don't even know what chiggers are. The only trouble I had down there was with ticks, and I've had too many of those little %$#&'s dug way in me, the worst being years ago when camping at the site of the town of Mount for a few days, laying around on the grass before realizing that they were all over us. What I used to do was dip a rag in my VW gas tank and touch the gasoline on them and they'd back out, but now they tell you not to do that. They say you're supposed to twist them out with a tweezer, but I've not had success with that method. Have there been any reports of Lyme disease?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't even know what chiggers are.

Ya know, it's funny you say that. I spent many years living in Hampton Lakes and Presidential Lakes in the 60's and 70's. I don't remember them at all. The worse case I ever got was in Maryland in 1980, and then the second worse was in 1981 (?) when I was exploring Welll's Mills. There was a big open field and the farm house still stood at that time.

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
"chiggers will go through your socks and make mush out of your ankles in minutes"

I don't even know what chiggers are. The only trouble I had down there was with ticks, and I've had too many of those little %$#&'s dug way in me, the worst being years ago when camping at the site of the town of Mount for a few days, laying around on the grass before realizing that they were all over us. What I used to do was dip a rag in my VW gas tank and touch the gasoline on them and they'd back out, but now they tell you not to do that. They say you're supposed to twist them out with a tweezer, but I've not had success with that method. Have there been any reports of Lyme disease?
Central / Southern NJ is one of the top areas in the US for lyme .There are now 11 other tick -borne diseases other than Lyme .Lyme 1st showed up in NJ in extreme Southern Monmouth County back in 1978

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
The Pine Barrens were the worst place I've ever been for ticks. That's why I stopped going down there so much. So then, Bob, are chiggers something new in there?