4 Rattlesnakes Along a Road

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

We headed out today to check on a few plants that I have been hoping to photograph. On the way to one of them we accidentally walked slightly past the location and had to turn around and head back. On the way back we ran smack into 4 large Rattlesnakes that were resting right along the side of the road that we had just walked down. We walked within 3 feet of them and never noticed them.

IMG_7753.JPG

IMG_7754.JPG

IMG_7755.JPG

IMG_7757.JPG

IMG_7758.JPG

IMG_7759.JPG

IMG_7760.JPG

IMG_7761.JPG

IMG_7762.JPG

IMG_7764.JPG

IMG_7765.JPG

IMG_7766.JPG

IMG_7772.JPG

IMG_7773.JPG

IMG_7774.JPG

IMG_7775.JPG

I have some video which I will add soon.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the video. You can hear Jessica tell me she will not be walking in the woods to look for the plants, and you can hear her joking about them being real since you may remember the last time I found Rattlesnakes someone told me I was buying fake ones and photographing them :D

Our first chance to use my new HD Camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlH8NLWtnbs

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Terrific find Guy, and you were prepared to capture it. I never go anywhere without my camera.
Was the video shot with a dedicated camera or was it part of your still camera? I haven't used the wide format yet.
I don't understand why that man who got bit recently felt he had to handle the snake. If you stand close and talk to them they feel crouded and peacefully crawl off, just like your video.

Ed

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Wow Guy! Thats pretty cool! Not did you only see one, you saw four at once! I am still waiting to see my first Timber.

Chris

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That is unfriggin belivable! four at one time! Thats equals my sightings of rattlers in total all at one time!iT IS TOO LATE FOR THEM TO BE NEAR THE DEN.i SUSPECT SOME HANKY PANKY WAS GOING ON THERE.tHE WAY THE TWO ON THE LEFT WERE LAYING SIDE BY SIDE THATS CLASSIC SNAKE WILD THING POSITIONIG.Sorry about the caps,i got excited.At least one of them was a female no doubt.What do you think Dragon?Guy did you smell cucumbers?Rattlers and any pit viper are reported to smell like cucumbers.Only one of the four I have encountered smelled of cucumber and I have smelled this several times in rocky den type looking areas but spotted no snakes.
As far as talking to them Ed,snakes were commonly believed to be deaf but now experts claim they may be able to hear very deep tones which in my opinion they may just be sensitive to the vibrations bouncing off of themselves and the ground but they were no doubt aware of Guy and Jess.Snakes can see very well from about 12 to 20 ft more for fast snakes that chase down food like racers.They no doubt saw Guy and Jess moving and no doubt smelled them too,not saying they smell or nothing but we all do to an extent wether for good or bad:)

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Al, Guy's experience here is pretty unique. I stay pretty close lipped on TR behavior in the pines and my experiences mostly because I don't want much attention on the species....but I will say this is quite unique.....either pregnant females or non gravid females hanging out together, these are social creatures that enjoy each others company. I will say they are healthy specimens and young ones as many still have their button. I hope they are safe where they are.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Mating generally occurs from mid-July through early September. During this time male snakes will make long, straight-line movements in search of females. When they intersect with a female’s trail they follow her scent. The snakes may remain together for as little as a couple of days to more than a week. After mating occurs the snakes go their separate ways.

http://www.conservewildlifenj.org/species/fieldguide/view/Crotalus horridus horridus/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you see, or hear them first?
n.

No. We walked right by them on the road. We had to have been 2 feet from them when we did. We traveled a short distance up the road and came back and I stood along the side of the road looking into the woods. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something and turned to my left and there they were. We were about 10 feet away from them at this point. They are very quiet snakes. My hearing is not that great, but on numerous occasions Jessica has heard pine snakes moving through the woods and that is how we found them. But these snakes are very very quiet and for the most part if you don't see them you most likely will pass right by them which we did.

Guy

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
No this isn't mating behavior and also is the wrong time of the year for mating(too early).
It's only about a month early. But because the weather hasn't been normal for this time of year it could be triggering something in them to mate.