Farewell to Borders

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This is a shame, but not a big surprise. The Borders at Hamilton Mall was the only large book store near me. Now I would have to drive 40 miles to get to the closest Barnes and Noble, and I wonder whether they will eventually meet the same fate anyway?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303661904576454353768550280.html

Borders Group Inc. said it would liquidate after the second-largest U.S. bookstore chain failed to receive any offers to save it.

Borders, which employs about 10,700 people, scrapped a bankruptcy-court auction scheduled for Tuesday amid the dearth of bids. It said it would ask a judge Thursday to approve a sale to liquidators led by Hilco Merchant Resources and Gordon Brothers Group.

The company said liquidation of its remaining 399 stores could start as soon as Friday, and it is expected to go out of business for good by the end of September.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Kindle + Amazon means I never visit a bookstore again. Maybe a little sad, since I used to love book stores (especially used book stores), but on the other hand so much more convenient that it makes up for the sadness.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Boyd,
I know it is far away but there is a Borders in Newark Delaware that I feel is much better then the one in mays landing.it is ten minutes over the bridge.65 minutes for me.probably an hour and a half for you.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks, but unfortunately that will also be gone soon, since Borders is closing all their stores and laying off all their employees...

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Thats to bad. I like borders. I hope that book stores don't become a thing of the past.

Kindle + Amazon
Thats what I have now but I still buy books also. Their is just something a book has that you can't get from a kindle. I also love adding books to my bookshelf.

Chris

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Kindle + Amazon means I never visit a bookstore again. Maybe a little sad, since I used to love book stores (especially used book stores), but on the other hand so much more convenient that it makes up for the sadness.

Yep. Just try taking my wife's Kindle away from her. She stopped going to the bookstores the day I bought that for her.

I live very close to that one. A co-worker's Mom works there. I was sad to hear the news especially since they had recently cut their store hours in an effort to remain open. I guess the overall bottom line doesn't allow it tho. They get a pretty good crowd in there. I may just hobble in there tomorrow, cane and all. I dont want to miss out on any bargains. I wonder if ther are liquidating online as well.....

Raven