Attention NJ Forest Fire Service

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
That is so lame. Thanks Gibby. Nice shot of a beautiful land marred up.

May I clip your photo and send it to some people?

Also, did they do it off range in the plains also?

Bob, you can do what you need with the photo. The areas I saw where close to the bombing range, just off of its boundary. The cut looked to carry on much farther than what can be seen in the photo, probably all the way to Sims Place Road.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Controlled burn Stafford Forge. The same field as last year burnt again. There ain't no natural process being mimicked here. I am sure there is some double plus good BS excuse to explain it though. Fairly good sized painted turtle eyes burnt shut, body blackened, shell de-laminated. Still alive and wandering around with no hope. :-(

eyPU3.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Did you leave him there in that condition?There are reptile rehabs that would take him and keep him for life,of course you would probably be fined for removing and harassing wildlife if you did.They could put him down if he was too bad to live.
Al

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Did you leave him there in that condition?There are reptile rehabs that would take him and keep him for life,of course you would probably be fined for removing and harassing wildlife if you did.They could put him down if he was too bad to live.
Al
I left him. Better off recycled into the system than wasting energy on him. I ended up helping my dog from this location so my mind was not functioning properly.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Turtles are incredible animals, that turtle should be fine without his eyes believe it or not. I've came across an old female spotted turtle today with 1 leg, half a tail and 1 eye, she had a lot of spunk.

I'm getting real bad vibes about the future of the pines, seems like lots of micro managing coming into place.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I once observed a box turtle walk over to a clump of pine needles on the ground and tilt it's head sideways in the way they do before chowing down and then ram it's head into the clump and come out with a mouth full of white stuff.I walked over and lifted up the needles to find an Amanita mushroom.Would have killed me stone dead but the turtle seemed to enjoy it.I therefore came to the conclusion they find food by scent so perhaps he will be alright though then again if he didn't need his eyes he wouldn't have them,I wish him well.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Believe it or not there was some jack ass breeding 'no eyed' red eared sliders for the pet trade a few years back. Fortunately he was busted by the fed.

Al I'm not sure how they find food, but I think for land turtles its more eyesight, water turtles may be different.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Good news and bad news. The cut at Warren Grove does not go through the swamp! I don't know what I was thinking. It had to be three seventy hour work weeks and a jumbled picture file on my computer. I had two different areas confused with the bombing range.

First the good news. The cut along the range boundary ends just before the swamp.
5393.jpg

Now for the bad news and what I was adding to my memory of the cut at Warren Grove. This is the new break just off of Route 539, a quarter mile or so, past the fire tower if you were heading towards Route 72 (The recently burned area).
539.jpg

5392.jpg

The pictures look bad but it is much worse in person.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was wondering how they would have gone through that swamp. It was pretty tough going the day Jeff and I were there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can tell the FFS was taking precautions while digging the cut at Warren grove. Notice it is on the right side of the cut which would put it just off the Federal line.

Guy

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Just to update. The turtle was in the same exact spot today but moved about 6 inches and managed to get one eye open but the other was still closed and pussed. Also a photo of a healthy one for comparison.

6994585235_c6fe5f8e00_b.jpg

5877454527_300010767c_b.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Believe it or not there was some jack ass breeding 'no eyed' red eared sliders for the pet trade a few years back. Fortunately he was busted by the fed.

Al I'm not sure how they find food, but I think for land turtles its more eyesight, water turtles may be different.
he must have realized raised pine needle humps meant shroom! I had no idea though of course it now makes sense.Shrooms can raise a clump of pine needles six inches into the air virtually overnight so maybe they just investigate clumps but I know he could not see through that mess of pine needles.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I really hope the turtle makes it.every fire I've ever walked in the backfire of I have found cooked box turtles.I believe the snakes make it underground for the most part but if a turtle is not near or in a swamp he is pretty much cooked.