Prescribed burns

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
I would have to disagree with you Bob. I don't want to see any new pavement in the pines at all. And if they could please take the pavement or what's left of it on the Allen road out that would be great.

Piney warden those jeeps and trucks are all over the place they hit the holes spin them out them out then winch their way out. I saw a bunch from a jeep club from in long island in wharton a couple of weeks ago. After that I had a whole caravan of about 10 come by and they turned and went towards the mt.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, I respect you as a pine barrens explorer but disagree completely with paving webbs, quite suprised you would suggest this. I think jd has valid points regarding asking questions. No solutions will be reached if people making decisions don't know people care or are disastified. I almost never come to this forum seeking solutions but more so building a militia of sorts to fight something. I have always addressed my issues I have directly with decision makers and I can say without a doubt most have ended with some resolution. Perhaps I've been fortunate to know good people out there, but I think saying your being lazy is a weak excuse. I have a lot of respect for you Bob, I just don't think a lot will be solved or prevented by voicing displeasure here, if anything may make it worse. The people working and making these decisions are employed by all of us, and as such owe us explainations. If they don't then in my opinion they are not performing their job.

I always respect your view. I do like to vent. Ben let's me as long as I keep it clean. I think it's good, as influential people can see the comments where otherwise only one or two people would.

Edit: Maybe I said too much already. Have to learn use more diplomacy.

Last edited:

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Smoke Jumper, your last reply is more along the lines I would expect from a FFS worker not the apparent attack I feel you made on me previously. Yes you did say that Bob should inquire to those in charge.

Bob, finally we're talking instead of posting jabs at one another. Happy that you finally made an attempt to inquire to why what is being done. Don't give up now, ask to speak to those in charge. Try stopping by Coyle field. Maybe the personnel can't answer your questions, but they're friendly and may be able to help some. I didn't know the FFS moved out of Double Trouble either, so that's news to me also.
Speaking of the pine beetle, there's areas in Wharton and Bass River where they have clear cut the pine trees. In Wharton I've seen where they actually plastic covered the felled trees. Is a road going to stop the beetles, I don't think so. The lady you spoke to may not know either or maybe she does, at least it's a start to pursuing info.

I don't agree Webbs Mill rd should be paved, if it was never widened in the first place it wouldn't be a playground for the mud trucks and stolen cars to party. Truck loads of stone and R blend are needed now, but where's that money going to come from?
I don't have the answer. This and the High Crossing nightmare along with others is part of my not liking the "improvements" to the old roads which makes access to easy. Back in the '60's when I first went into the Pines you needed a 4wd and the smaller the better, like the old jeep. You never took a new truck unless you wanted Piney pinstriping. Cars were usually stuck in the first sand trap. Then along came mud trucks. However these trucks tend to avoid the "unimproved" narrow pine sand roads.

dragoncjo, great reply.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Nothing wrong with venting Bob. A lot of what goes on in the barrens is exceptionally frustrating at times. I find the only way I get piece of mind is by going to the decision makers, in a private entity I probably wouldn't get answers, but in public I expect an answer. I get your frustration this activity seems to happen each year, the one year the dens got torn to shreds. Just got keep on top of the state so they know the impact, many times they don't because their level of passion is not the same as ours. They do this as a profession and not a very well paid one, not as passion, a few do and they are super helpful (ex njcf folks, bz,ks from Ensp)

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
JD, I wasn't attacking you personally. The notion that anything can be done to the pines and it will grow back just gets to me whether it's someone from the FFS or not. New roads not only make easier access to remote locations for the FFS but everyone else as well. We have seen this happen in other locations.

Bob, I'm glad that you took the time and asked to get some info. I would encourage you to follow up with it later. If it was done to cope with the pine beetle then after the project is done there should be some plan in place to clean it up and let the pines take it back over. If it's left open so people can drive in the pines will never take it over and would be yet another place for someone to dump trash. This is the part that is usually overlooked whether it's a fire or something else like in this case.