CURRENT NJ WILDFIRE ACTIVITY
***PRESCRIBED BURNING TODAY*** Friday, March 13, 2005
DIVISION B
SECTION B2- BURLINGTON COUNTY, WASHINGTON TWP, WHARTON FOREST, 50 ACRES GRASS
SECTION B4- OCEAN COUNTY, EAGLESWOOD TWP, STAFFORD WMA 50 ACRES GRASS
SECTION B6- OCEAN COUNTY, MANCHESTER TWP., MANCHESTER WMA 50 ACRES GRASS
SECTION B10- MONMOUTH COUNTY, MONMOUTH BATTLE FIELD 203 ACRES GRASS
DIVISION C
SECTION C3- CUMBERLAND COUNTY,COMMERCIAL AND DOWNE TWP.
MILLVILLE AND BUCKSTUTEM WMA, 90 ACRES GRASS
SECTION C4- CUMBERLAND COUNTY, MAURICE TWP. PEASLEY WMA 100 ACRES GRASS

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Yea I was joking. I didn't even notice in your post. I didn't notice till I went to their website. Odd they didn't post it up earlier. I just checked that site Wednesday or yesterday to see when they were starting.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Did you notice the freshly bulldozed road? It was done in an area that never had a road. I'm going to check it out.

I went to look at the new road they made. It makes no sense at all why this was done. It is down by Dover Forge. There was never a road there. It was big open woods--I was in there last year, enjoying the peace and solitude by the river. This reckless act changes all that. It protects nothing and only encourages use by anyone.

NewRoad.PNG

Attachments

• NewRoad.PNG
    NewRoad.PNG
    3.3 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Some photos of the new road. As usual, they didn't just do a bulldozer width, every so often they scoured another several yards to push all the vegetation out of the way. They even plowed a lot of the huge laurel to the edge of a cedar swamp slope. It looks terrible. A sad day in Ocean County.

RoadStart.PNG
Pushover.PNG
Lowlands.PNG
Laurel Push.PNG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They might have had a stand in there and wanted to walk less.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Or they realized it's a lot more effective and safer putting in an access road before a fire is blazin' away in winds like we had today.

Hmm. So, a fire is blazing away...what are they going to do, ride down the road and put their truck and lives in deep danger? If the cedar swamp and adjacent river does not stop the fire (in most cases it does), then it damn sure was too hot to go down that road.

Reactions: pinelandpaddler
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I went to look at the new road they made. It makes no sense at all why this was done. It is down by Dover Forge. There was never a road there. It was big open woods--I was in there last year, enjoying the peace and solitude by the river. This reckless act changes all that. It protects nothing and only encourages use by anyone.

View attachment 5560
Senseless!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
How deep down do they cut these breaks, a foot into the ground?

I don't know the exact depth. For the bulldozer, he goes deep enough to get all the shrub roots at a minimum. The below cut is the only fire cut they made as a result of this mess. I'm guessing 10"?

Cut2.PNG