Iron in the Pines

Xhunter911

Mar 6, 2016
NJ
Has anyone read this book?
I went to the local library yesterday and checked it out, pretty good book so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 324

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Excellent book! I rank this one number 3 after The Pine Barrens (McPhee) and Barbara Solem's book.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I have Jersey Genesis, but I just didn't get into it. Maybe I'll have to try the others. So many books, so little time!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I have Jersey Genesis, but I just didn't get into it. Maybe I'll have to try the others. So many books, so little time!

Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey and More Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey are great. Better, in my opinion, than Jersey Genesis.

They're a great snapshot of 1920s-1960s Pine Barrens life and history.

Reactions: Boyd

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Has anyone read The Jersey Shore: A Social and Economic History of the Counties of Atlantic, Cape May, Monmouth and Ocean? The most impressive South Jersey history happens to also be the most enigmatic. It is a formidable two-volume set – comprehensive, well researched, with lots of obscure citations. Still, Wilson’s work lacks Beck’s flair for language; communication that transcends time. In refresher I reread Forgotten... and More Forgotten... this spring and wow, it wasn’t a chore! Jersey Genesis is more of a task.

Few remember Wilson while few forget Beck. Anything that makes history fun is OK with me. I even reference Sceurman and Moran in talks. You’d be surprised at the number of Weird N.J. fans who cut their teeth there, liked the topic, and then continued on to more earnest literature. There is an innate, deep-seated human need for myths and legends. Disney made a fortune off traditional knowledge, albeit in a much more sanitized form. Real lore can be pretty gritty stuff.

Wilson, H.F., 1953: The Jersey Shore: A Social and Economic History of the Counties of Atlantic, Cape May, Monmouth and Ocean (2 vols.). New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Co. 1055 pp. A third but separate volume contains family and personal history.

S-M

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It's funny you say that. I've read several of his books multiple times but every time I pick up Jersey Genesis I seem to stall.

Lets hope bobpbx does not see you don't like Jersey Genesis :D

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2GPOJPU72DX24

Skip all of the other chapters and read "The Adventure of Aserdaten". To me it is Beck at his best.

https://books.google.com/books?id=5o4X4JVDaTkC&pg=PA166&lpg=PA166&dq=adventure+at+aserdaten&source=bl&ots=KcSxcJOGu8&sig=-BzL_ktBlRqtvSlKFbrtenBOm68&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipj_34oe7MAhUIdh4KHbieDOQQ6AEIKTAB#v=onepage&q=adventure at aserdaten&f=false

And for you bobpbx .... make sure you read the last line of your review. You have something you need to do.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Beck's fascination with Aserdaten and his frustration with responses to his question is what really interests me about it. The cast of characters, the snail mail communication and of course visiting the location shown on maps as Aserdaten makes it my favorite chapter. Each time I read it I see something else. And for those who don't know ....... the location of the Chislers (Eureka) Gun Club is now owned by the Forked River Mountain Coalition. A wonderful location with history nicely acquired by them.

Reactions: bobpbx

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yes, that is a great chapter. It reads like a short story mystery full of local color. I haven't read it in ages, when i find the time I should re-read it.