JP article

Roostriz

Scout
Feb 16, 2005
Egg Harbor
Anybody see the brief article in JP magazine about "wheeling in the pines". It was basically just pictures of these guys driving thorugh mud and streams but they had an interesting picture of a water crossing that is supposedly an old bridge that the river has since risen up over. Anybody know about this particular place. I can scan in a pic tomorrow if necessary.

Chris

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
All,

Having not lived in NJ for more than 10 years, I have no recollection of any magazine by the name "JP". Or is that just an abbreviation that most others are familiar with?

And while on the subject of magazines, does the South Jersey Magazine (I think it is/was called) still exist? Copies I saw of it were quite interesting, but I depended upon the Ocean County Library to find it back in the 1990's.

-- Dave

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Submerged bridge

I don't know if it's that bridge, but there is a submerged bridge under the Batsto River, upstream from Hampton Furnace at:

39 46.916, 74 40.356

Water can flow under it, but it is usually under water. It's made of heavy planks.
Ed

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Ed, I know the bridge you are referring to and I think it is the same as the one pictured. There is a high back on either side with a deep cut as the road descends to the bridge, I think I see the deep cut in the photo. I could be wrong of course but I bet that is it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
woodjin said:
I think George Washington carved his initials on one of the planks! "GW WUZ HERE". LOL. Damn, that cedar holds up well!!!!!

Jeff,

That comment was hilarious, but I guess we should not be making jokes, when it could be true. Some of the bridge posts in the rivers are quite old and still look like they could hold a bridge......plastic of course :)

We should be worried when we see the bridge above the water as in the photo.

Guy

Roostriz

Scout
Feb 16, 2005
Egg Harbor
Although the issue was this months, the pictures are supposed to be from Mother's Day. So it is quite dated. Anybody been that way lately? I never even knew this was here.

Chris

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
pinelandpaddler said:
kingof thepines, do you have the coordinates for the sunken bridge further downstream? Locks, eh? Interesting
Yes the coordinates are about 100 yards downstream from the first sunken bridge. The maps aren't particularly detailed but two trails run across the upper Batsto from the trail I call the swamp loop connecting to Mossy Sprung Rd. There is a third, foot trail further to the north that crosses a dike but it is heavily overgrown. There is a small manmade channel that runs along the swamp loop and during times of high water I have seen orange/green/white cranberries floating around. I know many of you are familiar with this area. Here

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

We have discussed this location once before. At the bottom of this post is the link, but for some reason the photo links on the page are missing.

Anyway, I went there late this afternoon to check it out again, and the photo in the jeep magazine is the one we discussed before and Ed gave coordinates for. Steve had a photo posted of it which I can't find.

Kingofthepines mentioned that there was an identical one downstream about 100 yards, but I did not see that one. I did not explore on foot much, but one would assume there would be a road to it and there isn't. I am not saying there is not one downstream, I just did not see it.

But there is one just upstream, in fact there is another one upstream from that one. Both of them you can access by vehicle.

This one is located at: 39°47.168----74°40.325

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/855-1/IMG_5949.jpg

This one is upstream from the above one but I did not get a GPS coordinate. I left the GPS in the car :(

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/860-1/IMG_5954.jpg

Here is a map of all of the three mentioned.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/863-1/map1.jpg

If you go be prepared for CHIGGERS.

And here is our discussion about it in 2003. You may have to go back a few posts or forward a few to catch on.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=266&page=4&pp=10

Guy

Guy, your last link takes me to a log-in page.

Here is the photo I have of that "un-bridge".

18460937-M.jpg

Steve