Stephen Lee, Cranberry Farmer

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We had a great time the day we helped them out. It really is hard work.

Guy

TheBronzeMan

Dec 9, 2007
Steve Lee and his brother Abbott Lee are really good people.

The two of them understands the New Jersey Pine Barrens better than anyone on this site.

TheBronzeMan.

relayer

Explorer
I had the privilege of meeting Abbott Lee years ago during my stint as a volunteer with the Pinelands Coalition. He was a smart, knowledgeable guy then and I have no doubt that, over twenty years on, he is even more knowledgeable about the pines. Moreover, he grew up in the midst of the pines, worked the land, learned the rhythms of the passing seasons, the way the natural world that surrounded him impacted his life and work, and, learned much of the history and folklore of the pines from friends, family and his own inquiry.

Nevertheless, you don't know all the folks who frequent this board. There are people who post here and others that lurk, who, in their way have an equal, if different understanding of the pine barrens. Indeed, it is likely that some people, in their areas of expertise, possess even greater knowledge than the Lees. I don't say this to denigrate Stephen and Abbott Lee. Far from it. Rather, I think it is important to understand that there are different ways to understand the pines and there is an awful lot to know. There is, to my knowledge, no person or couple of persons who know it all. I can't say if it actually takes a village to raise a child, but I believe I can safely say that it takes a community to fully know the pines. So, welcome to this part of that community. We'll take all the help we can get.

Actually, it would be pretty interesting if Stephen or Abbott Lee posted here. It would, as I'm sure you'd agree, enrich the conversation.

best

relayer

ps. just so it's clear, i'm not claiming to be one of the smart ones

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
A bunch of us here call each other "Brothers of the Pines". Some of these folks live basically in or on the edge of the Pines, some outside the pines. A good number of folks on this site have tremendous knowledge of the area in a staggering variety of subjects. The Lee family are Pine Barrens royalty no doubt indeed. By calling myself a brother of the pines I am not claiming to be anybody except someone who respects the land and loves being in "The Big Woods" (to steal a line from a member on this site.)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had the privilege of meeting Abbott Lee years ago during my stint as a volunteer with the Pinelands Coalition. He was a smart, knowledgeable guy then and I have no doubt that, over twenty years on, he is even more knowledgeable about the pines. Moreover, he grew up in the midst of the pines, worked the land, learned the rhythms of the passing seasons, the way the natural world that surrounded him impacted his life and work, and, learned much of the history and folklore of the pines from friends, family and his own inquiry.

Nevertheless, you don't know all the folks who frequent this board. There are people who post here and others that lurk, who, in their way have an equal, if different understanding of the pine barrens. Indeed, it is likely that some people, in their areas of expertise, possess even greater knowledge than the Lees. I don't say this to denigrate Stephen and Abbott Lee. Far from it. Rather, I think it is important to understand that there are different ways to understand the pines and there is an awful lot to know. There is, to my knowledge, no person or couple of persons who know it all. I can't say if it actually takes a village to raise a child, but I believe I can safely say that it takes a community to fully know the pines. So, welcome to this part of that community. We'll take all the help we can get.

Actually, it would be pretty interesting if Stephen or Abbott Lee posted here. It would, as I'm sure you'd agree, enrich the conversation.

best

relayer

ps. just so it's clear, i'm not claiming to be one of the smart ones

Wow, that was well said relayer! One of the best posts in a long time.

Guy