Whites Bog and Buckingham, 4-19-08

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
With the wife and kids on vacation for the week I decided to head south for some uninhibited exploring today...

Unfortunately I ran smack into a wall of traffic ten miles long on the turnpike. I decided to get off at 8A and take 130, and that's when I realized that while I may know the roads of New Jersey really well, all the other people on the Turnpike have GPS systems with "reroute" buttons. 130 was packed.

Bailed off on 133 and headed east into Monmouth. Caught 571 and had a nice ride south, eventually picking up 528, then 539, and coasting down to 70 past the old missile facility (and some drifting smoke from today's brushfire). First stop was Whites Bog Village. We turned left down the main street and parked near the old sorting hall. Except for one or two walkers the place was deserted. A large sign on 70 advertised the general store, but it didn't seem to be doing much good.

I'm not sure what the building in this shot is, but it is located right across from the sorting house. This is a shot down the main street. My wife has the good camera with her, so these aren't all they could be.

Whites_Bog_Main_Street_1.jpg

A shot a little further down the road showing the preserved cottages, wearing the required sheath of weather-blackened cedar clapboard.

Whites_Bog_Main_Street_2.jpg

Behind the row of cottages the ground is clear, and the whole area in general is spotless, which was very nice.

Whites_Bog_Houses_Back_1.jpg

My travelling companion for the day catches her breath on some steps behind one of the buildings.

Whites_Bog_Sasha_Steps_1.jpg

A long shot of the sorting house. Everyone already knows it's falling down, so I won't belabor that point.

Whites_Bog_Cranberry_House_1.jpg

Closer shot of the section of worst collapse. Although there are man-sized holes in the fence, all these shots were taken from outside it by holding the camera up. Sasha, however, did not obey the rules and had to be called back several times after finding another hole.

Whites_Bog_Cranberry_House_2.jpg

The easternmost end with some truly impressive brickwork. Shame about all this, but that's the way it goes, and a similar process is certainly what left the old stone walls at Harrisville standing alone.

Whites_Bog_Cranberry_House_3.jpg

From Whites Bog we ducked down State Forest road and headed up the old roadbed looking for Buckingham, a place I've always wanted to check out. After travelling almost all of the way to the intersection with Butler Place Rd. I spied some weathered concrete in a field and pulled over. Here's a shot of the field.

Buckingham_1.JPG

The structure in the distance is a gun club, and Buckingham Road runs by it a little distance from the roadbed. It is marked a private lane where it joins up a little further down. I didn't want to bother them... but more on that later.

This is the concrete casting I had spied from the roadbed. I don't know much about dating concrete, but this has been sitting out a long time is my guess.

Buckingham_3.JPG

Another very weathered concrete casting. It's difficult to tell from the image, but beyond the casting is a cellar hole filled with concrete and brick rubble. In fact there was a lot of brick on the ground all around the clearing. I didn't see any marks, but then I didn't stay as long as I would have liked. More on that later...

Buckingham_4.JPG

A bit of half-buried brickwork that might have been part of a well, as it has a semi-circular shape. There were several remnants in the area that I thought might have been wells or lined pits.

Buckingham_2.JPG

A square concrete-lined pit of some kind.

Buckingham_5.JPG

This brick section of cellar wall seemed a good bit older than the concrete work to me, but I'm not really sure.

Buckingham_6.JPG

Another angle on the wall section.

Buckingham_7.JPG

There were quite a few pieces of this ornamental brick lying around. I turned over a few pieces of brick looking for marks, but didn't find anything.

Buckingham_8.JPG

Most of the time while I had been poking around Sasha just jogged about and looked at me as if to ask "When are we gonna play?" A few deer ambled by, and that got her a bit too excited, so I decided that in order to get some pictures I would have to leash her to the truck, which I did. I started out to get some images, and she of course started yipping in a most wounded way. Immediately what sounded like 10,000 hounds opened up from the direction of the gun club. It was like a really noisy scene from 1001 Dalmations. I suddenly felt somewhat conspicuous, so we didn't hang out as long as I would have liked. I will have to go back dog-less at some point.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I think that's a private house, not a gun club. The last time I went exploring around there I was coming up from behind (click over to topo - http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.92757572614505&lng=-74.44602012634277&z=15) the same loud dogs chased me off too. Or, I should say, them suddenly stopping.

Whomever lives in that house is serious about not being disturbed.

Edit: He may be a fox hunter.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
My former neighbors family homestead was a blueberry farm a couple miles down the railroad from there. They had a large assortment of dogs including hounds that were kept in a pen and a bunch of mutts and strays that roamed freely. Whenever a vehicle came down the road the mutts would start barking and this would set off the hounds which would send the noise level through the roof! A low budget alarm system!

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Those dogs are out every time I go to Buckingham. As far as I know, the ruins are not on that property, so other than being very annoying, I don't consider them a warning. I did see people leaving that building once. They looked at me for a few seconds and continued on their way. Never had trouble there.
I was just there on Easter. Looks like there was a fire not too long ago.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I guess it's hard to tell the difference between a gun club and a private residence in the pines :).

Thanks for the background info. I was pretty certain also that the ruins weren't on their property, but things went from "quiet cathedral of history" to "Cirque du basset hound" and I didn't like being the cause of all that ruckus. Next time I'll ignore them,

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report and Pics. While I have past Buckingham on many occasions I never went into the field because I was under the impression it was private. Nice to see photos of the ruins.

A few years back I was fishing in the bogs along the old RR and an older guy came by in a truck and we spoke for a bit. Real nice guy. I always assumed he was the one living at buckingham because that is where he came from, and he was definitely a local.

Jeff

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
There were no "posted" signs on the field, Jeff. There were small "Safety Area" notices tacked up here and there... should have grabbed a shot of one. I didn't pay particular attention to them, but I think it had something to do with keeping ATVs off.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Nope, the Safety Area signs are to let hunters know there is a house nearby, and to not shoot their guns within 500? yards of one of the signs.

I think safety zones are 450 feet. You're not allowed to cross the safety zone boundry with a loaded gun or nocked arrow, and you're not to shoot into the safety zone (makes sense).
Greg

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
I think that's a private house, not a gun club. The last time I went exploring around there I was coming up from behind (click over to topo - http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.92757572614505&lng=-74.44602012634277&z=15) the same loud dogs chased me off too. Or, I should say, them suddenly stopping.

Whomever lives in that house is serious about not being disturbed.

Edit: He may be a fox hunter.

Ben, did you travel a bit further west to what was a clearing (click over to 1930's aerial)http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.92754281623326&lng=-74.44756507873535&z=17. I want to check that area out, parking at the ruins here http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.921791566204654&lng=-74.44522619247436&z=17 , coming up from behind as you did, but am concerned that I'd be into private property.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It's been kind of hard to keep her a secret, given the amount of food she eats... oh, and the chewed-up living room furniture.

A perfect companion for the day.

That packing house is really going fast!

Guy