1872 NJ county maps

B

BarryC

Recently I found individual maps of each county in NJ from 1872 at this link: http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/MAPS.html
So I've downloaded those of Atlantic, Cumberland, Salem, Ocean, and Burlington County North and South. These maps are fascinating! There's so much cool stuff on them- things such as older place names, names of places no longer there, and the locations of churches and schools.
Here's just one example: The tavern we know of as the Mount Tavern- in 1872 it was known as Crammer's Tavern! Another example: it shows a school right next to the church at Estellville. That gives us something to look for. I highly recommend these maps. I don't know if you've already added these to this site or not, Ben, but they are great maps for our purposes.
There are also 2 maps of Egg Harbor City from the 1860s or 1870s that show all the roads that were planned in Egg Harbor and the surrounding areas, both east and west of the city. That includes where I live in Mullica Township. These areas outside the city were to be where the city residents had their farmsteads or something. Pretty neat. This explains why the Egg Harbor City street grid extends into the areas both east and west of the city. I never understood that before.
Barry

B

bach2yoga

He does have them. We had a thread about it a a couple of months ago when I was looking for the Charles Hartman map collection. They are wonderful; I've saved them to disk.
Renee

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
When still living in NJ I purchased one of these 1872 atlas sheets for my then-residence, Ocean County (they were removed from the whole atlas, where basically one sheet included one entire county; Burlington had two sheets). This was hand-colored prior to its sale in the complete atlas, I believe. Had it framed with glare-reducing glass (extra cost), and it still hangs on my wall down here in Ormond Beach, FL. Incidentally, these individual county atlas sheets were frequently sold at antique shows held in NJ and eastern PA. They were printed on only one side of the rather heavy weight paper, like many books of maps and pictures at that time. The going price then (about 15 years ago) was in the $50 to $70 range, depending on condition, supply and demand. I suppose some antique dealers maintained inventories of these antiques, but I'm not personally aware of any.

Glad to hear that they are viewable and downloadable from the Rutgers mapmaker site given by BarryC in his previous post this thread. Now if only the entire maps (or anything this large) could be conveniently printed in their entirety. Suppose there are those of you who know a way to do this, but this over-the-hill computer newbie finds some of these tasks over his head. Will be interested to find out what else may be on this site.