1907 Batsto postmark, and another Aetna Furnace postcard

B

BarryC

Check out the 2 items I received today. This second Aetna Furnace postcard I got for $2.99. Just go to my photo gallery and you'll see these 2 items.
Barry

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
those postcards are incredible... primary sources such as these are great ways to learn more about history. thanks Barry for enlightening us to these gems. it is amazing the changes that this furnace endured over the 2 year period from 1898 to 1900. that 1900 postcard picture is in the book "forges and furnaces of the pine barrens" or something like that. and the 1898 postcard picture really gives you an idea of what it looked like. if it wasnt for that picture, you would have no way of realizing the scale of it based on the mound of rubble that is currently at the aetna furnace site.
Barry - have you ever seen the book "a pictoral history of atlantic county"? it is in this book that i first saw the locally famous picture of Bargaintown lake (now enlarged and colored on the wall at the McKee City commerce bank). also contained in the book is mention of the mays landing brick mfg company and the chicken coups on english creek ave. i saw the book in reference at the EHT library.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Again, a great find! It is nice that you even know who took the photo. I wonder if the woman in the photo is related to the photographer? It looks like someone has already been chipping at it.

Guy

B

BarryC

Thanks for the information on this book. I have not seen it, although I've probably heard of it.
I agree that these type of finds are the best ways to learn about history, the history of the Pines specifically. Other fascinating stuff is what can be learned from the book, New Jersey Postal History, which lists every post office in New Jersey, when it was first opened, when it closed if it did, when the names changed if they did, and who the first postmasters were.
Batsto P.O. originally was in operation from 1852 to 1911. Then it reopened in 1966 as a branch of Hammonton.
Yes, that is amazing, the changes that happened to Aetna furnace in the period between when the two photos were taken. Wish it was possible to see photos of other furnaces.
stizkidz said:
those postcards are incredible... primary sources such as these are great ways to learn more about history. thanks Barry for enlightening us to these gems. it is amazing the changes that this furnace endured over the 2 year period from 1898 to 1900. that 1900 postcard picture is in the book "forges and furnaces of the pine barrens" or something like that. and the 1898 postcard picture really gives you an idea of what it looked like. if it wasnt for that picture, you would have no way of realizing the scale of it based on the mound of rubble that is currently at the aetna furnace site.
Barry - have you ever seen the book "a pictoral history of atlantic county"? it is in this book that i first saw the locally famous picture of Bargaintown lake (now enlarged and colored on the wall at the McKee City commerce bank). also contained in the book is mention of the mays landing brick mfg company and the chicken coups on english creek ave. i saw the book in reference at the EHT library.