1913 Hampton Park Map

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

On December 15, 1913 a map was drawn up of the main area of Hampton Park which at the time was owned by Andrew Rider. In the below map you can see the locations of the buildings which have been posted before by me in previous posts. However, this map tells us there was a second bridge with a road leading across it towards Rider Switch. Currently to get the Rider Switch from Hampton you have to cross the Hampton Road bridge with the arrow pointing to it and access the road to the Jersey Central.

IMG_2785a.jpg

And just three years after this map was made the famous shootout occurred near Deep Run which killed Andrew Riders brother and injured others.

Guy

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Guy,

Thanks for sharing. The bridges with the pink arrow pointing to them... could they be the big concrete culvert pipes that exist there today up on the higher ground?

I just drove down that road to riders switch the other day. Picked up quite a bit of trash along the way, but mostly on the main run to Hampton.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I am very familiar with the area and never saw evidence of a second bridge or an old road that would have served it. Kevin, I am not sure about the culvert pipe but there is lots of concrete there that I have assumed to be remnants of an old bridge. There are letters written in the concrete but not enough to make out anything. If you cross the canal there is nice high ground with bricks and glass. It is low scrub but an interesting place to visit. Ticks, ticks, ticks.....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is a culvert and bridge on Hampton Road. That is where my arrow points. What is not there now is the bridge across the canal where the road goes straight. The road must have met the current road to the JCRR.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is an interesting one. This (copied from the original) map shows a drawing that was made by surveyor J. Stokes. He says that on the 26th and 27th of December 1793 he ran the outer boundary at the request of William Vinicomb and Richard Stockton Senior. And on the 3rd day of December 1799 he divided the property for the present owners. They were George G, and William Ashbridge.

ashbridge.jpg

It is interesting to note that at the top of this map which is around Carranza at the Skit it shows that the home there was owned by Elliot Newman. The text says:

"Elliot Newman's House...Stone by the edge of the water course of said branch a little above Elliot Newman's House that is on the other side of said branch."

It may be this one right along Carranza at the Skit. Not sure.

IMG_5994.JPG

Reactions: manumuskin

willy

Scout
Jul 16, 2014
galloway nj
upload_2016-4-11_14-13-59.png

19oo Topo also showing two bridges across the Batsto River. Notice how the roads approach Hampton Park very high from the north. I believe the last owners prior to the State take over change much of the roadways in the area.