1960's NY Times travel article on the NJ Pine Barrens

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Thanks, fellers.

Re that photo of yours, Guy, I remember a very big fire down there back in the 70's - and then just a month or two later it was remarkable how green and beautiful the place was. Those pitch pines just love fire, don't they! Good research on I H Gordon, Guy. I like canoes too.

Dragon, keep going east and you will find the ocean - and the Barrens used to be an ocean bottom itself, didn't it? What sort of work were you doing in the Plains, if you don't mind me asking?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Thanks, fellers.

Dragon, keep going east and you will find the ocean - and the Barrens used to be an ocean bottom itself, didn't it? What sort of work were you doing in the Plains, if you don't mind me asking?

Pan, I was working on a radio telemetry study for some reptile species...sorry for being a bit vague but I don't want to disclose too much. Welcome to the site and keep posting those pictures up, I really like seeing older photos of the pines.

Jeff, I think what you said sums up the way I feel in the plains best......gives you that nice mellow, relaxed feeling that the beach gives ya.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Pan, I was working on a radio telemetry study for some reptile species...sorry for being a bit vague but I don't want to disclose too much. Welcome to the site and keep posting those pictures up, I really like seeing older photos of the pines.

Jeff, I think what you said sums up the way I feel in the plains best......gives you that nice mellow, relaxed feeling that the beach gives ya.

You have a great job, Dragon, way better than having to work in all the worst slums and places in and around NYC like I did. I miss the Pine Barrens. It was so very different from those places, a wonderfully relaxing antidote...

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Pan its volunteer, real job is much less fun, hah, but the pay is much better.

Dragoncjo, not to get specific about your work and studies, but does it involve a Jeep Cherokee and a radio directional finder? Several times I was shooting pictures and hiking in the bombing range area, I saw several people with smaller hand held antenna, tracking and finding something. They seemed busy, so I never stopped and spoke with them, just a friendly wave hello.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Gibby, I think your seeing two separate studies. The guys your seeing in the Bombing Range are the Drexel crew (all good folks). I do drive a blue cherokee and tracked on the outskirts of the range, but often had my car parked around that area with a big antenna in my car or on me. That would be two years ago, I didn't track in that area this past season. The drexel guys/girls may drive Cherokees too, lets be honest they are the best car ever made.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks, Dragoncjo. I was just curious and it was mid to late summer when I saw the team out in the field. It looked like so much fun what they were doing!

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
It can be fun, but it is tough work. Trying to cross through the pygmy plains with a big antenna, with a long wire attached to your waist can get frustrating. Also those units only get a beep from about .25 miles at best, these species can move at one mile clips, so you gotta be out there everyday. They can lead you on some wild goose chases, I had a species go about 10+ miles in two months....it was fun.