2 missing young rafters found unharmed

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Actually I've read that some municipalities *do* bill people for this kind of thing, which is why I asked. In some cases I think this is a good idea, but it gets complicated. Ever see the movie Brazil? The Ministry of Information bills their "clients" by the hour for torturing them... "Confess son, or it could be very bad for your credit rating."

Boyd & Jerseyman (and everyone else),
You are correct, some municipalities are already charging for emergency calls. Jerseyman, our local ambulance squad now charges for calls. Actually, they bill your insurance. More & more will be charging in the future. This not only applies to ambulance squads, but fire depts. and possibly police as well. If people only knew what the dollar amount is when someone smacks a utility pole with their vehicle!! The PSE&G bill alone, just to replace the pole, if needed, would be some peoples annual salary!!!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Berlin Twp (West Berlin) police does in fact bill after so many calls. Before we had our alarm system upgraded in my work building on 73, the old one had a lot of false trips and as it is very near a seedy appt complex, when the call came I/we would opt to have the police out. Beats my butt driving there in the wee hours. After a few hefty bills, we had the system completely replaced to avoid nuisance trips. It saved us a bunch and is more reliable.
Back to topic though, yes, at least that township starts billing after running out for a few false alarms. Makes sense in a way to me though.

g.

MMTG3

Aug 31, 2009
Tuckerton
I was actually camping at the Wading Pines Campground this weekend while this went down. The family was staying at the CG for the weekend. They were, what we call, "weekenders". Several authorities we in and out until the wee-hours of the morning. They had the basketball court area roped off, to be the "command and control" area, if you will. The parents got worried after 2-hours when the kids did not return from tubing. They went to the CG shop and asked for the authorities to be contacted. State police, sniffing dogs and a bunch of other authorities were in and out all night. The CG staff were furious, as was I, that someone would allow 10 and 11 year old kids to be tubing, alone, at night, in the dark.

The mother went with one State Trooper to Evans Bridge, where she stay there most of the duration. The father, headed down the Wading River, where he became lost and missing for a period of time. You won't read that in the papers. Anyway, it was a pretty high anxiety night, filled with anger, worry and best of all, happiness that they were found unharmed.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes but, I was camping at wading pines as well and I see it a little differently. First of all, the boys went in the river at 6:30 to take the usual little route from about 30 yards past the bridge to alligator ally, which normally takes 20 mins. After thirty min. the mother went to look for them at the arcade, restrooms and other sites hoping the kids just failed to check in. The father and his friend went in the river to look for them at a little after 7pm. They took the whole route from the Godfrey's bridge to Evan's bridge which took one hour (and no, the parents did not get lost) The parents then called the authorities at a little past 8pm. At 4:30 am. the kids came wandering out of the woods where the troopers seen them. So just to inform everyone it wasn't "dark", it wasn't "the eve of a hurricane", they're not "weekenders", their locals.... It was a horrible. And if you had seen the mother how sick she was over it, (she could barely talk, her voice was so shaky) you would know that if she thought that was possible she most definitely would not have let them in the water. And yes, thank GOD for their safe return!!

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I don't want to step on anyone's toes but, I was camping at wading pines as well and I see it a little differently. First of all, the boys went in the river at 6:30 to take the usual little route from about 30 yards past the bridge to alligator ally, which normally takes 20 mins. After thirty min. the mother went to look for them at the arcade, restrooms and other sites hoping the kids just failed to check in. The father and his friend went in the river to look for them at a little after 7pm. They took the whole route from the Godfrey's bridge to Evan's bridge which took one hour (and no, the parents did not get lost) The parents then called the authorities at a little past 8pm. At 4:30 am. the kids came wandering out of the woods where the troopers seen them. So just to inform everyone it wasn't "dark", it wasn't "the eve of a hurricane", they're not "weekenders", their locals.... It was a horrible. And if you had seen the mother how sick she was over it, (she could barely talk, her voice was so shaky) you would know that if she thought that was possible she most definitely would not have let them in the water. And yes, thank GOD for their safe return!!

The only reason I'm going to reply is because your response questions my integrity and honesty. What I stated is what I learned by being at the campground at the time the incident occurred. The information I posted is what I recieved from the CG employees who were working with the authorities. If that is not true, than I'm guily of posting inaccurate information that I heared 2nd and 3rd hand, not because I'm making this sh*t up. I just want to be clear about that.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Drove past all of this on the way to Chatsworth on Friday night. There were a lot of cars at the wading river bridge at 10:30 and when we came back at 11:45 there were even more. Figured someone was missing since they were at the canoe landing and didn't see a wrecker for a car in the river. Most comotion I've seen in a while. Glad to hear they found them, but yeah, that is pretty crazy to let those kids do that.

Kevin

MMTG3

Aug 31, 2009
Tuckerton
The only reason I'm going to reply is because your response questions my integrity and honesty. What I stated is what I learned by being at the campground at the time the incident occurred. The information I posted is what I recieved from the CG employees who were working with the authorities. If that is not true, than I'm guily of posting inaccurate information that I heared 2nd and 3rd hand, not because I'm making this sh*t up. I just want to be clear about that.

Like I said "I don't want to step on any one's toes". And I'm not questioning any one's integrity and honesty, but I figured I should post the "1st hand" facts that I'm aware of. Perhaps the camp ground was not aware of the actual time line of events. Thanks to their miss information, 2 parents who were rung threw the ringer, now have to be bashed by a bunch of "holier than thou" bloggers.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
The Blind Man and the Elephant
It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant~(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation~Might satisfy his mind.
The First approached the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side, ~ At once began to bawl:
"God bless me! but the Elephant ~ Is very like a wall!"

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried, "Ho! what have we here?
So very round and smooth and sharp? ~ To me 'tis mighty clear
This wonder of an Elephant ~ Is very like a spear!"

The Third approached the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands, ~ Thus boldly up and spake:
"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant ~ Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reached out an eager hand,
And felt about the knee.
"What most this wondrous beast is like ~ Is mighty plain," quoth her;
"'Tis clear enough the Elephant ~ Is very like a tree!"

The Fifth who chanced to touch the ear,
Said: "E'en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most; ~ Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an Elephant ~ Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Than, seizing on the swinging tail ~ That fell within his scope,
"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant ~ Is very like a rope!

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion ~ Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right ~ And all were in the wrong!

This conversation makes me think of this poem, every angle and side makes a story appear different. Doesn't mean anyone is right, or anyone is neccesarily wrong. Don't think anyone is "holier than thou" though, just a bunch of opinions from some people with experience in these matters. Mine come from a lifetime spent in the woods and over a decade of working in Natural resource management, still there's always room for learning and adaption.....................Glad the end result was positive.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Like I said "I don't want to step on any one's toes". And I'm not questioning any one's integrity and honesty, but I figured I should post the "1st hand" facts that I'm aware of. Perhaps the camp ground was not aware of the actual time line of events. Thanks to their miss information, 2 parents who were rung threw the ringer, now have to be bashed by a bunch of "holier than thou" bloggers.

I agree that the correct information is always what's most important.

MMTG3

Aug 31, 2009
Tuckerton
thank God they are safe.

how far downstream were they found? did they get below Evans?

No. They missed the sign for the campground. They continued down the river. They got to the grassy, meadow section of the river, seen lightning and got out on the left bank. They walked in big circles. They herd the dogs and tried to walk to them. Then they herd cars and tried to walk to them. One kid wanted to stay put and wait for search and rescue to find them. The other kid want to keep going (not suggested by the boy scouts). And thank GOD because the made it to Rt.563 where the troopers spotted them.

They have a name, Tourons; the result of mixed breeding between tourists and morons :D

Good one! I know when I was working for the canoe livery, we had many opportunities to see this "Disneyland - I want to get off this ride and go to the exit" mentality. People occasionaly just got out of the canoe and tried walking out of the woods , as if it were next to the concession stand! We had to look for these individuals after waiting several hours at the pull-out and inserting our own people upsteam, to be sure they didn't show up as a statistic in the media! People are sometimes just not aware of the subtle nuances of being alone in the woods! They don't know enough to realize they don't know enough! Unfortunately, sometimes, nature doesn't suffer fools!