2007-2008 NJ ariel photography

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
In case you haven't seen, the state has put up some new digital orthophotography. I downloaded some of the area around my house and it looks very nice - higher resolution than the old photos. You access them via the NJGIN website. Definitely a lot better from what I've seen on Google Earth recently. Interface is a little confusing, but it actually works very well. Start at this link:

https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplorer/DataDownloads.jsp

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select "New Jersey 2007 - 2008 High Resolution Orthophotography - Download via Information Warehouse". If you prefer, you can also download older photos here. Clicking that link will put you into a map browser. Zoom in until you see the individual map tiles. You can then select the ones you want using a point (for an individual tile) or a polygon (for multiple tiles). The ones you select appear in a list on the right. Check the box next to them and click "add items to cart". Click the shopping cart icon to display the contents of the "carto-cart" (cute...). Don't worry - it's free :)

In the cart screen you will see an icon for two types of files - MrSID and JPEG2000 - click the one you want to begin the download. You will need software capable of opening these kinds of files. If you have a "real" mapping program, they can be imported and will be correctly geo-referenced. Photoshop should be able to open the JPEG2000 files. I'm sure there are some freeware/shareware programs for this as well.

If you just want to look at these files and play around, you could download the free trial version of Global Mapper here: http://www.globalmapper.com/. That should let you open the files and do a lot of other things, but not export any data.

With all the negativity about the state, I think it's refreshing to find something cool and useful like this... for free! :dance:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is nice and up to date for sure. The maps are better than Google as you said, I just am not so sure about the map program itself.

Thanks Boyd!

Guy