4/1/06 - Revisiting the Forked River Mountains

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Today Guy (Teegate), Barbara Solem-Stull, Budd Wilson, and myself went out to explore some sites in the Forked River Mountains and Greenwood WMA.

We first stopped at the graves at Union Clay Works. I'm happy to report that they're still in good condition, even though there is a path that has been beaten into the woods right to them. :(

We then visited Union Clay Works, and looked around some of the impressive cellar holes there. There is just a ton of old discarded pipe, bricks, and sandstone around. We then stopped for a quick look at the cellar holes at Red Oak Grove.

Crossing 539 we stopped at the base of the old Cedar Bridge Fire Tower and then on up to the Forked River Mountains. It looked like there was a cleanup going on as bags of trash were piled up on either side of the road.

Budd and Barbara had never been to the top of the mountains so they really enjoyed the view. The weather stayed great all morning.

We then stopped at Aserdaten (near the T intersection) and looked at the cellar holes. I am pretty much certain that the spot on all of the maps is in fact Aserdaten, despite what other people may claim. Then we drove a short distance down the road and we showed Barbara and Budd Black's Rock.

It was getting late for Guy who had to get home early, so we breezed through Eureka Gun Club and Webbs Mill. After Guy left, Barbara took myself and Budd out to lunch at the diner at Ongs Hat. Thanks Barbara!! :)

A great day -- fortunately it didn't rain until we were out of the woods!

bruset said:
... even though there is a path that has been beaten into the woods right to them. :(

That path was there when I first visited the site almost 2.5 years ago and I think that was not TOO long after you first visited. Anyway, it looks like a deer trail so no biggie. I guess the best thing to do is to not use the path for future visits. That would give it a chance to fill in.

Steve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You guys sound like you had a real good day! It must have been a busy one too, doing all that takes time.

Regarding the cleanup, that was done this morning by a group of people who had done some light offense against society. They were attended by a police officer. It was me who brought them out to that road this morning and got them started in the right direction. After that I was working over by the Middle Branch of the Forked River. What kind of vehicle were you driving?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
bruset said:
My Jeep.

I noticed two heavy duty pickup trucks - one with a trailer - parked at the Cedar Bridge Fire Tower foundations

Those were likely.....are you ready.....ATV riders. Bump-bump-bump baa!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As for the trail, I think there are too many people who know about that location to keep them from using it. A lost cause I would say.

Ben..I had a great time and I want to thank you for asking me along. Barbara and Budd were relaxed and friendly which made the day so nice. It was compelling getting their comments on some of our theories also.

pbxbox...I took a page from your book and did a reading in the woods today. I don't how the three of them felt about it :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
pbxbob.....it is a good thing those light offence individuals did not know you had ten points :D

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
pbxbox...I took a page from your book and did a reading in the woods today. I don't how the three of them felt about it :)

Guy, that is so cool you did that. Mind telling us what you read?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bobpbx said:
Guy, that is so cool you did that. Mind telling us what you read?

We were at an intersection in the woods that was the far SE corner of the Hanover Furnace property (not the Lawrence Line Ben..sorry) and I read the below which has missing or illegible words.

N84.45E 58.90 chains ( 3887.40 feet ) to stone lettered C.N. (Clayton Newbold) by the east side of a pine stump on the SW side and distant about 40 links ( 31.68 feet ) from the receivable of the road formally called the Old Egg Harbor Road between the ???? Known by the so ???? of the Old Half Way which stump and stone is the original SE corner of the Hanover Furnace tract surveyed and returned to John West (looks like West) and also the last and closing corner to William McKnight's Greenwood Forest Tract surveyed and returned to Clayton Newbold and is also the NE corner to ?? Including survey usually called the Jones Mill Tract surveyed to Abraham Jones..the above described stone is also the beginning corner to ????(all missing but it also is a corner to the Ferrago Forge tract).

Thence agreeably to certificate of boundaries being Jones, William McKnight and Charles Steward establishing the lines between Hanover Furnace Greenwood Forest and Ferrago tracts dated Jan 4th 1840

I was just trying to give them and idea that some of the roads at that intersection were actually the property line. Many of the roads in the Greenwood Forest have been made by surveyors so it is always interesting at least to me to distinguish which ones were around 150 years ago, and which ones are much newer. That makes things much easier for me when looking for things.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice, brings the past up close. This was a very important corner then:

Thence agreeably to certificate of boundaries being Jones, William McKnight and Charles Steward establishing the lines between Hanover Furnace Greenwood Forest and Ferrago tracts dated Jan 4th 1840