4.8 earthquake. I felt it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Caught my attention too. First thought was "earthquake", but then the cat came running into the room and I thought she had knocked something over in the other room. :D My daughter texted from NYC just then and said it was really strong there, the chandelier was swinging and pets freaking out. It was in North Jersey, so closer to her.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was cutting a banana, and the back of the house rumbled enough to make me concerned. I went out to the front door and looked around, and a big gust of wind came in, so I wrote it off as a gust. But then my daughter called from Marlton (facetime), and my grandaughter was scared with tears. They felt it more than I did.

• Wow
Reactions: RednekF350 and Boyd

martink

Scout
Apr 5, 2009
Hammonton NJ
www.quakerranter.org
I'm fascinated by the contour "shake map" map. The Williamstown bubble, the bulb coming up from Cape May, that weird prong coming down toward Sea Isle. It really surprises me that the reports I'm seeing don't correspond more to distance. Data point: none of my family in Hammonton felt it. Also: personally disappointed as I was on PATCO in 2011 and was already rattling around too much to feel it. I keep missing these.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 3.30.40 PM.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm fascinated by the contour "shake map" map. The Williamstown bubble, the bulb coming up from Cape May, that weird prong coming down toward Sea Isle. It really surprises me that the reports I'm seeing don't correspond more to distance. Data point: none of my family in Hammonton felt it. Also: personally disappointed as I was on PATCO in 2011 and was already rattling around too much to feel it. I keep missing these.

View attachment 22476
Do you have a link for the map?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The link I posted above lists a bunch of USGS products, including the shake map

Very different from 2011 for me. Back then, I happened to be standing at the end of a long straight hall in my home. I literally saw the shockwave travel down the hall, like a ripple in a pond. Never saw (or felt) anything like that before. There's a thread here, I linked to it in our recent discussion of sonic booms.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Apparently there have been multiple aftershocks. Did not notice any here but was doing housecleaning with the vacuum cleaner running. :)