4 new trails in wharton - one is an old stage road, titled the "1808 trail"

Mikeofthewoods

Oct 29, 2020
Indian Cabin Road
I came across this post on FB. I'm really excited about these trails. I love how one of the trails is known as the 1808 trail, highlighting its history as a road. I hope to one day see some signage about the history

Grand Opening:
Four New WSF Hiking Trails​

Put on your hiking shoes and join us Sunday, June 5, 2022 for the grand opening of four new hiking trails on the Wharton State Forest: Whispering Pines Hiking Trails and the 1808 Hiking Trail.
10 a.m. Grand Opening: 1808 Hiking Trail
The 1808 Hiking Trail (1.6 miles, green blazes) follows a road that ran in part between Crowleytown–where the Buttonwood Campground is today–and Batsto Village more than 200 years ago. The 1808 Hiking Trail is lined with massive, towering Atlantic white cedars in several places and cuts through Mordecai Swamp affording fantastic views deep into it. The 1808 Hiking Trail will provide two new hiking loops from the Batsto Visitor Center: a 1.7 mile loop and a 7 mile loop via the Batona and other connecting trails including the new Sand and Water Hiking Trail (0.9 miles, orange blazes) also opening on June 5. The meeting location for the grand opening is the Batsto Visitor Center Parking Lot located just off of Burlington County Road 542 in Washington Township. The grand opening will take place in the parking lot before heading out onto the trails.
2 p.m. Grand Opening: Whispering Pines Hiking Trails
The Whispering Pines Hiking Trail (1.7 miles, white blazes) meanders along the edge of an Atlantic white cedar swamp then passes through upland pitch pine and oak forest before returning to the trailhead. The Atlantic White Cedar Hiking Trail (5.2 miles, blue blazes) is reached via the Whispering Pines Hiking Trail and skirts Atlantic white cedar swamps, abandoned cranberry bogs and follows along tributaries of the Rancocas Creek as it traverses the area. Both trails are loops with the Whispering Pines Hiking Trail starting and ending at the parking lot which is located at the intersection of Burlington County Road 532 and Patty Bowker Road in Tabernacle Township. The grand opening will take place in the that parking lot before heading out onto the trails.

Facebook Post about the trails