536 and 322

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I frequently have to travel to Maryland on business, and I hate route 70 West of the Medford Circle. Wednesday I had to go again, so I says to myself; "Bob, try going down 206 to 536 West, then pickup 322 and sail on into the turnpike. It will be easier."

Easier? Ha!

Not easier. I can't understand all the dog-legs in route 322 and 536, and the signs going West are awful. Turn left and try to find the route again, turn right and try to find the route again, turn left again....etc, etc.

Interesting ride though. Think they'll ever make a decent highway going East-West down there?

Its always a wierd feeling for me to enter a town I have never been to in NJ. I get to thinking of the people who live there, and realize if I moved there I would make friends with some of them and think how my life would/could be without them; know what I mean? It was like that for me in some of those Winslow Township towns.

Also, did you ever notice how far down from the Red Lion traffic circle you have to go before you see pine barren land on both sides of the Road? I think Picadillies is the boundary. Its also unique how the pines turn into farms in Winslow and Medford so rapidly. And did you ever notice that huge junkyard on 536 about 3 miles west of 206? I'd pay $10 just to roam for 3 hours in that yard.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have to say that getting a good auto-routing GPS has made my travels so much more pleasant (I have a Garmin 2620 which contains maps for the whole country on an internal hard drive). It lets me explore lots of possibilities for different ways of getting between point A and B.

There are 4 options for routing: fastest, shortest, off-road and custom. The first two should be obvious. Off-road just draws a straight line between you and your destination. I enjoy this sometimes when I just feel like wandering; I go down any road I want and the GPS shows me the general direction I need to go to get there.

Custom routing is perhaps the most interesting. You can program which roads you want to avoid (like you dislike of 70W), and you can set relative percentages of major/medium/minor roads. I usually set this to completely avoid the major and medium roads. This sends me on some nice side trips and helps keep me away from the heavy traffic.

These units are not cheap, but the prices have come down a lot durin the past year. I think it was a great investment personally.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As happens all the time for some reason, I missed this post. One of many that I never see because I am not notified by the software for some unknown reason. Does anyone else have this problem?

Anyway, are you talking about this junkyard?

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=18&X=1289&Y=10990&W=1&qs=|atsion|nj|

Scott and I have discussed this one before. He said it is relatively new and so you won't find any old cars there.

Guy

TeeGate said:
As happens all the time for some reason, I missed this post. One of many that I never see because I am not notified by the software for some unknown reason. Does anyone else have this problem?
Guy

I don't use e-mail notification. I get enough e-mails as it is. I just pop in and check the new posts.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
I don't use e-mail notification. I get enough e-mails as it is. I just pop in and check the new posts.

Steve

Same here but there are times that the new posts never change color, and it may be days before they do. Then I start reading the post and realize I am days behind. Today I happened to be looking over the main page which lists the recent posts, and there were two there I had not viewed, with this thread being one of them. The other was the thread on the Friendship Bogs monument.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
There's also an interesting junkyard near Atco on Jackson Rd (aka Oakshade Rd). There's some kind of airplane engine near the road that has always fascinated me.

So far as I can tell the orange icons seem to work. A number of the other boards I use have a link on the home page "view new posts" which just displays everything from every subforum in a list. That's my favorite approach, so I don't have to go checking each individual forum....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
There's also an interesting junkyard near Atco on Jackson Rd (aka Oakshade Rd). There's some kind of airplane engine near the road that has always fascinated me.

So far as I can tell the orange icons seem to work. A number of the other boards I use have a link on the home page "view new posts" which just displays everything from every subforum in a list. That's my favorite approach, so I don't have to go checking each individual forum....

That junkyard with the plane is the one that 4wheelingbee says the movie Eddie and the Cruisers was filmed. That one has some really old cars I hear. In the movie it looked interesting.

Also, notice it has some sort of turbine engine near the plane.

Guy

Rubibee

Scout
Dec 10, 2002
Moorestown, NJ
TeeGate said:
That junkyard with the plane is the one that 4wheelingbee says the movie Eddie and the Cruisers was filmed. That one has some really old cars I hear. In the movie it looked interesting.

Also, notice it has some sort of turbine engine near the plane.

Guy

Yup, that's the one it was filmed at. I use to have the newspaper article back in '82-83. I'll have to search for it. It definately is this junk yard.

Can't locate the newspaper just now, but check out this web site.

www.fast-rewind.com/eddie.htm

Scroll down to "Movie Archaeology" the very 1st sentence. Check out the other 'local' places this movie was filmed at.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:

Anyway, are you talking about this junkyard?

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=18&X=1289&Y=10990&W=1&qs=|atsion|nj|

Scott and I have discussed this one before. He said it is relatively new and so you won't find any old cars there.

Guy

Scott are you sure? I saw some pretty old trucks in there. Plus, I doubt any town would allow that junkyard starting up these days. Especially in a prisitne area. Thats a nice cedar swamp behind it. This yard must have been there for years.....bob

PS; terraserver photo is 10 years old, so it must be at least that old. Perhaps he dragged old stock in there?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Hey that's pretty cool, I guess I need to see that movie. Every time I drive past that place it crosses my mind that it would make a great location to film a movie. Funny that someone else already beat me to it! :)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
BobM said:
Scott are you sure? I saw some pretty old trucks in there. Plus, I doubt any town would allow that junkyard starting up these days. Especially in a prisitne area. Thats a nice cedar swamp behind it. This yard must have been there for years.....bob

PS; terraserver photo is 10 years old, so it must be at least that old. Perhaps he dragged old stock in there?

Yes Bob, I am sure.
I have a 1977 aerial of the site at home showing the farmhouse that is now boarded up and just a few scattered cars in the vicinity of Myers' current dwelling to the west.
I figure he started in early to mid 1970's, so you can assume that vehicles that were being driven in the 60's would have ended up in there after they died.
As for the Township, I can't understand how they and the Pinelands Commission continue to let it grow like a cancer.
He has expanded almost all the way across the existing rye field in just the last 2 years.
I give him until the middle of 2006 and I bet he will have used every square foot of land.
The area behind and surrounding both sides of the property are environmentally sensitive wetlands including cedar swamps and hardwood swamps.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
BobM said:

Bob,
If you are familiar with NJDEP Imap, checkout the 2002 image versus the 1995 image at x coord 403426, y coord 321285.
Scott