708-acre (cranberry) farm to be protected

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
That's good to hear, especially in Medford. We need a strong buffer zone to protect the Pinelands from Evesham development creep. Now if we can only get more farmland preservation in Indian Mills instead of turning it all into cookie cutter developments.

Justin

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
That farm (originally known as Quoexin) was one of the three Evans and Wills properties. Friendship and Willow Farm (Kings Grant) being the other two. Good to see it preserved. Some of the earliest cranberry bogs in the state were started there!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yes, that sounds good. I think this is the property in question:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.8...56794738769531,0.040984153747558594&t=k&hl=en

I've always been curious about big hidden area in the middle of Medford. I used to live very near there in Medford Lakes. I have heard that deals like this have been abused in the past, where it became a way to enrich a landholder that really had no intention of selling the property anyway.

But anything which prevents further wanton development of Medford can't be too bad... :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Gerber is a state forest ranger. He's been a member of Medford's committee to preserve open space for about seven years

Well there you have it. I'll bet this is the same guy who hassled Woodjin and Rblanda! ;)

Seriously... yeah, I suspected as much. Nothing is ever quite what it seems here in NJ...