A big one lurks nearby

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
You betchum, Red Ryder-

In spite of the shadows, the ghost pattern sure looks rattler-ish!

For a snake THAT SIZE the strongly keeled scales it exhibits are shared in the pines only by pinesnakes and northern watersnakes. A number of smaller species also have keeled scales. If the head skin is available, check the skin between the eyes. In the timber rattler and copperhead that space is filled with very small scales - much smaller than those over most of the body; in pinesnakes and watersnakes the interocular (top of head) region has a few large scales/plates arranged in a symmetrical pattern. If the head is absent, but the tail is still there, check the ventral scales/scutes caudal to the anus. In the pinesnake and watersnake (in fact in all NJ snakes other than the pit vipers) there are two rows of "ventral caudal scutes/scales" behind the anus. In the rattler and copperhead (and massaugua... I think) the scales behind the anus are in a single row, just like those ahead of the anus under the belly.

As for estimating the size of the snake from a complete shed skin ? Hard to do with any exactitude. Generally a shed skin, because of scale overlap in the live snake, will stretch another 20% to 30% of the live length.

For more info on scale counts - the most accurate basis for identification - check any good field guide to snakes in the region. The best, IMHO, is an oldie but goodie by Roger Conant, former Curator of Reptiles of the Philly zoo - I think the title was "Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians". I'll bet that copies are still available on ebay or thru abebooks.com

Nice picture, Bob !

Dave

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Sorry, Bob-

I blew it on the title of Conant's book.
I couldn't find it in my library, but did find the loan-out card - it was borrowed by an old friend who , sadly, is no longer with us. I didn't realize that I hadn't tried to find that book in my collection since 1987! Maybe I oughtta have a book sale?

Naaaaaaah.

In any event, it was:
Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians 1958 (I didn't record the publisher - a Peterson Guide perhaps?)

Best t'ye,

Dave

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
Bob,

You are posting the links from the recent photo section and all of your recent photo links are bad.

This should be it.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=241&pos=106

Guy

Hi Guy, nice to see you are back. No, I take a painstaking effort to ensure I don't. After I post, I go to all image galleries, then click on my own, then choose my main folder (specifically avoiding the recently posted picture section), find the image in the folder (usually in anything but the first page of folders) and open it.

I can't say why this is happening. I just thought of something though. If we upload a photo and it ends up in any position but the last one, it will change the position number of all the photos after it. True? That is probably what is happening

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
I can't say why this is happening. I just thought of something though. If we upload a photo and it ends up in any position but the last one, it will change the position number of all the photos after it. True? That is probably what is happening

Well, you can test it out by uploading another photo and checking the links on this page again, especially the one I posted which will rule out a mistake by you.

I had a good time and have a few photo's I will pass along that are somewhat relevant to this site.

Guy