A Bridge, A Trestle, Two Rails & Two Tales

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
In which I bridge a gap through time

If one wants intricate details of the rails and their history in any given region of the pines, there are many publications available. I suggest you try some. This here is just about connections. My hope at the least is that it might spark an interest in a place or two you'll read about. Then you'll go do some digging and a domino effect of sorts will occur and you may be informed and entertained. Here I'm just writing to entertain myself so you might as well get a few books anyway. Hope you like the pics. I only used a few I didn't take myself for obvious reasons. C'mon, check it out.

I'm not really a rail buff but I figure their histories and connections can make them somewhat personable. I read and I can't keep up with who bought who and changed names and soon any one piece of track has multiple personality disorder. I'll just cheat and use two short ones relevant to the area of my interest. The PRSL from West To East and the JCRR from North to South. The two objects of my interest here, lost to time are placed at these rails soon before they come to pass at Winslow Junction. On Winslow Junction, when next you're by try to seek out old Bob Stetser for a sit down. You needn't talk. Just listen, and listen closely, before it's too late. The rails saw freight and folks alike. These two in this area even share the sadness of death. One long passed is still a little unexplained and the more recent on the other line so painful and senseless. In better times there was character in a ride. Now from West to East you travel in a cold, unattractive box. Anyway, to this day I am fascinated by two resulting structures of these rails as they come to pass.

And one.

The Wharton Avenue bridge allowed you to cross over the PRSL at the remote point of Spring Garden. Once a significant connection between the Fleming Pike in the East to Spring Garden road at the West end, it must have been a treat to stop for rest and refreshment at the inn. The long ride took one through the woods, by adjacent bogs, behind Pestletown, and by little hamlets, collections of houses for bog workers in what could be known as Springtown. The "stop" for the train was merely a platform at the back of the inn and those who rode the rails could share the same pleasures while entering or leaving at the "station". I'll throw in a couple pics of the Inn and tell you history on it is good reading as well yet it is not my focus here.
An older era
SG_INN_OLD_ERA.jpg

Today
SG_HOUSE.JPG

Now the bridge.
The abutments of the Wharton Ave bridge were of massive stone and dense fill leading up to them. I've the good fortune to know a gentleman who played on this bridge as a child. I've wondered for years now how thrilling it must have been to view the trains from the top of that bridge and waste hours just knocking around it. Imagine getting a faceful of smoke as a train passed under.
A view of a train coming from the East. Note number 243 on the pole
WHARTON_AVE_BRIDGE.jpg

A view today of a train from the East, taken standing on the base of 243
WHA.JPG

One can still see the mounting studs and electrical cable in the base
243.JPG

While power is transferred underground today, it is still common to spot the fragmented and discarded poles that did the same in days of old
POLE.JPG

Fast forward to the 70's, the structure is now bridging essentially a road to nowhere as the Fleming has long since lost usefullness and Spring Garden road is many years passed pushed aside by the White Horse Pike. The bridge was dismantled and scrapped and any markers or warning indicators removed. The massive stones that formed the West side abutment were taken by a local construction/landscaping company just up the road yet ironically few were ever used. They lie forgotten
BL2.JPG

BL1.JPG

The dense fill was used and was more likely the goal. This left the scenery to appear lopsided and odd. Years passed with more off road, cycle, and ATV activity. Vehicle erosion on the East side adds to make the look of the entire place forlorn
FOR_2.JPG

FOR_3.JPG

FOR_1.JPG

WORN.JPG

STUDS1.JPG

It lacks so much of what was once a place you could drive right up to and park the car at the edge. It was enjoyable to visit. It still is O.K., the locals just call it "dune buggy hill", aptly named. New people not from here would never know what it once was.

A memory.

A young boy of eight or nine once took a ride to this bridge with his father in a friend's 1974 maroon Chevy Malibu when you could still serenely navigate the Wharton from the Fleming with ease and enjoy the view. The boy was in the back doing just that, in wonder. The men were up front when it didn't even seem taboo to be holding a couple cold ones on the ride. They were doing just that. (Bud in a can). They parked and the men got out as did the boy. He stood at the abutment and marveled. The span must have been a hundred feet high and a hundred feet across (at least in his mind) There were big bolts sticking up out of the rock. He marveled, and never forgot.

Some 30 years later a man takes his sons and daughter there often. It's not as pretty to look at, the bolts are worn, the trains that go by are speedy yet unatractive. He lets them look and play. He watches them now. He has hopes that they marvel, and never forget.

And Two,

The JCRR trestle passing over route 30 in Elm is as overlooked as any other structure we pass every day on the road until it fades away and becomes the "white noise" of the visual world. At most locals just use "Elm Bridge" as a landmark for directions. You go under this, not over. In another time it was an intersection. This is an example of a point where the increasing presence of autos in the early 1900's made crossings less practical or safe. Continued work on Route 3 (another interesting bit of history) also had an effect on the evolution of the structure. Traveling West to East on Route 30 just at the Fleming Pike look straight out to see the trestle form a horizion line to the same grade on the East side. Yep, the bridge wasn't built up but the underpass was dug out. The rails remained the same. Poor design has resulted in a flood or to under it over the years. I will be attempting to find, and have done a little snooping, on the location of Elm station. A friend provided me with a scan of it, from 1914 I believe
ELM_STATION_1914.jpg

Now the trestle.
These particular rails ended sadly, degraded by freight cars and forgotten to time. Only just South of the trestle, it's rails serve only to store ugly old tank cars. There was a time when you could travel in high fashion and "top it the knob" so to speak on the lavish Blue Comet. A good ride, fine scenery along the way, great dining offerings, gone. A shot of the comet speeding North, taken soon before it's end
ELM_BRIDGE_BLUE_COMET1.jpg

today
ELM_BR.JPG

another angle, click to enlarge this one.

ELM_JCR_2.JPG

Notice on the South angle the same structure that served as a house and still remains after ending it's long reign as a defunct window company sales office.
Notice on the Northern angle view the same pile of rocks on the West side in the 1940's photo and today.

The thousands that do pass this trestle every day probably do not notice that, or notice something else of interest. The South side is the signature stone support of it's beginnings
1917_SIDE.JPG

one of the supports
UP1.JPG

The 1917 date set in concrete is somewhat obscured by unsightly communication cables. The North side however is concrete, newer? Yep, 1927 (completed in) as a result of a widening project of the White Horse pike.
1927_SIDE.JPG

While the fill in this case would be reused, no one took the old massive stones and mortar from the job so it was simply tossed but 20 feet off to the Northwest side of the grade where it remains to this day
ELM_REMAINS.JPG

again clearly depicted in the other two shots mentioned.

Might as well go to the top. Always wanted to. As long as John Law don't see then it's good to go. It's pretty gangly looking up there.
Cool plating though
PLATE.JPG

30 East
EAST1.JPG

30 West
WEST1.JPG

More
LOW.JPG

ANG_EAST.JPG

Pretty cool for something so looked over.
LINE_UP.JPG

For many years a boy would sit in the back of the car or the pickup when the adults would be sitting at the Fleming/Rt30 intersection waiting to cross or turn. He would look over and marvel at the trestle there. Occasionally a feight train would clunk by over it until they ceased in 1978. He thought of how cool it would be to skitter up there and see the world. That was way out of the question. He was allowed to walk the rails North of the bridge and occasionally brought back a trinket. Most common were those rusted spikes discarded that lay everywhere. Boy were they heavy in the hand. Must have been because he was so small.

A few decades later a man walked onto the trestle to see the world. He marveled. He looked down at a loose plate and wiggled a rail spike out of the rail tie. He brought the spike home as a souvenir for the boy that never made it up there. Looks pretty good sitting here next to the books and pics on the computer desk. Don't look out of place at all next to this new fangled flat screen. Still seems kinda heavy in the hand though. To the boy anyway.

Thanks for reading.

Inspired and aided by the interests of two men, and a boy who marveled and never forgot.

g.

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
George,

Great post as only you can tell it! Thank you!

Just don't go on the White Horse Pike bridge in the summer anymore. It is so full of poison ivy I gave up walking south. If you get a chance to walk south look for the milepost base a short distance down the tracks.

Guy

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
George, great story. I have been to both bridges (or sites anyway) and although the Spring Garden rd. doesn't have the bridge anymore, it is still and interesting location. A West Jersey Rail Quarterly publication has the date of construction for the Spring Garden bridge at 1902 by the West Jersey and Seashore RR and there were several others built just like it along the line. The bridge just west of this site that carrys Old White Horse Pike and was the longest of the steel bridges and was also built in 1902. And from what I read in HCB's book, Pestletown has a cemetery in it somewhere that is unmarked today. Both are really neat sites, and thanks for the story and the pictures, especially of Elm Station.

Here's my photo of Spring Garden bridge -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinhooa/2920452148/in/set-72157607802199402/

And the Rt. 30 bridge -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinhooa/2058840304/in/set-72157604145811883/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinhooa/2058055577/in/set-72157604145811883/

Kevin

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
What a story! Well-written, great photos. Might you consider printing out those photos and part of the text (the boy's viewpoint) as a picture book for your children?
. . . a marvelous keepsake.

~Glo

lowerbankman

Scout
Nov 12, 2008
Lower Bank, NJ
Man that's good stuff, I love the picture from the trestle over the White Horse pike, it gives me a new perspective on the road, I will never again think of it as a highway.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
George, great story. I have been to both bridges (or sites anyway) and although the Spring Garden rd. doesn't have the bridge anymore, it is still and interesting location. A West Jersey Rail Quarterly publication has the date of construction for the Spring Garden bridge at 1902 by the West Jersey and Seashore RR and there were several others built just like it along the line. The bridge just west of this site that carrys Old White Horse Pike and was the longest of the steel bridges and was also built in 1902. And from what I read in HCB's book, Pestletown has a cemetery in it somewhere that is unmarked today. Both are really neat sites, and thanks for the story and the pictures, especially of Elm Station.Kevin

Thank you.
I have some pics of various stages of work on the first renovation of the Route 30 bridge by a fellow who lived darn near under it. This fellow has major amounts of rail information. He's pretty hardcore in that department.
Perhaps we'll meet and share one day.

g.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Bridges

Largo, that sounds good to me. I don't know a whole lot, but I've been to a place or two, and would be happy to share any information I could. Most of the info I get is from either books, publications, maps, or deductive reasoning, and the latter has some bugs sometimes. lol. If I could only travel back in time, but I'm sure all of us would if we could. Again, great story, and I've never even gotten to view any old pictures of that Rt. 30 bridge before, along with the station. I can only imagine what it must have been like to stand on that old Pestletown bridge watching the trains go by at 70+ mph underneath. There are the other 3 bridges north of that location that look almost identical to still give us an idea of the construction and design of the time period. That is, until they're replaced.

Kevin

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Bridges

Checked out the other bridges the other day. They are 1. the connector for the Old White Horse Pike & the New White Horse Pike (not sure what the road name is), 2. Ohio Ave, and the Old White Horse Pike just north of the Pestletown Bridge Location. The Old White Horse Pike bridge is huge compared to the rest, and as far as these bridges are concerned. But it is rusting bad and several of the cross braces are rusted away and hanging and two of the I beam supports are literally rusting into dust. Part of one was laying on the ground. This bridge very well could be gone in the next 5 years. The Ohio bridge has been fixed up pretty well and has new cross braces welded in and the posts are concreted in. I'll have pictures up in a couple of days. Just West of the Pestletown bridge site is where a girl was killed a couple of years ago and there is a memorial to her on the side of the tracks. Her 4 wheeler got stuck and the train came around the bend, hit the machine, and threw it into the girl, killing her. It's a pretty sad site to see all the notes, crosses, and pieces of the quad.

Kevin

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Checked out the other bridges the other day. They are 1. the connector for the Old White Horse Pike & the New White Horse Pike (not sure what the road name is), 2. Ohio Ave, and the Old White Horse Pike just north of the Pestletown Bridge Location. The Old White Horse Pike bridge is huge compared to the rest, and as far as these bridges are concerned. But it is rusting bad and several of the cross braces are rusted away and hanging and two of the I beam supports are literally rusting into dust. Part of one was laying on the ground. This bridge very well could be gone in the next 5 years. The Ohio bridge has been fixed up pretty well and has new cross braces welded in and the posts are concreted in. I'll have pictures up in a couple of days. Just West of the Pestletown bridge site is where a girl was killed a couple of years ago and there is a memorial to her on the side of the tracks. Her 4 wheeler got stuck and the train came around the bend, hit the machine, and threw it into the girl, killing her. It's a pretty sad site to see all the notes, crosses, and pieces of the quad.
Kevin

I am slightly confused by your references. If you speak of what we locals call "the old Pike Bridge" in Atco, it is mentioned in an old NJDOT report by which when a survey of possible routes was examined, it was more practical to tie that bridge in and eliminate bad curves at the entrances. To this day I truly believe and any locals would agree was a piece of crap move.
The Ohio bridge perplexes me as a forgotten link here.
The bridge you speak of which is on Spring Garden road is a particular favorite of mine. Many days of my youth were spent playing there and many teenage nights of "partying" as well. It's a cool turn to be on and be lit up whence the train comes. Some Spring Garden Bridge Pics. The bottom Left pic is not from that bridge.
GH_1.jpg

That bridge is actually a horror to drive over due to it's narrow build and yes I go over it oft, even tonight bringing my daughter back from a night event at Hammonton school. You just get used to it.
The Spring Garden road bridge is indeed a mess and in a strange twist of fate, the company that was out there in January evaluating repairs had a fellow whom while driving to the sight, rear-ended my mom's car and totalled it, (thank goodness she made it through). Anyhoo, yes it's slated for a serious lookee see and long overdo.
As far as the girl that died, we all locals of Hammonton felt that badly. She was the niece of a very good friend of mine and the pain of the event stings.
To this day I tell you all, know where your kids are when they say they're out with friends! None of those kids were supposed to be there!
My personal experiences with that stretch... here you go no holds barred.
Just West of the bridge one night I was in a drunk funk at about 19 years old and lay down on the track (no joke) I was awakened by screaming friends in time to crawl off before a train.
Alone once with the very quad I own today I hopped the track at the Wharton ave bridge and have done it dozens of times. That day the quad stalled in gear on the tracks and I literally pulled it off seconds before a hit.
Back around 1990 with the same quad I was in the breezeway of the rt 30 bridge whence the train came and I got stuck in there. I shut the bike down, leaned into the wall and felt however many thousands of tons of train blow by me by inches.
I have three kids of my own now and it sickens me to think of the horrors but then, what did I care? No more does my bike ever see those tracks. Not an option. I am content to putt-putt along like an old fool on easy trails.
Take heed youngsters here! Don't "F" around.

g.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Bridges

Hey Largo, sorry the bridge names were so confusing. Google Maps said one thing, my atlas says another, and the historical listing I have says something else. I just picked what I thought they had to be. They're the only three bridges like that in the Atco area so I figured you would know. Those pictures are pretty crazy. From what I read, if this is correct, PRSL gave up delivering freight into Atlantic City and some other sidings when Conrail was formed and only did it for a little while until the Shore Fast Line took over in the early 80's.(I think the line was out of shape, but there might have been other reasons.) And after that, Conrail would only come down the Clementon line and abandoned freight service south of near the Delair bridge interchange on the Atlantic City line. So what I'm saying is the pictures you put up of Conrail on that stretch were only possible for 6 or 7 years and that was it. Lucky you took them. It's hard to predict what will happen in the future, and it makes you feel good to know you got photos of something before it disappeared all together. You are lucky when it comes to your drunken events. It's weird to think, but you might have fit under the train only to have jumped up when it woke you up. Glad your still here. There's just something about hanging out on a bridge and drinking that makes things so neat. I've had a few beers on the abandoned bridge in Winslow Junction a couple of times. There's an opening in the middle with a little shelf hanging off the edge on the outside that you can sit on and let your legs hang only a foot or two above the NJT trains. (only westbounds) What a rush to feel them go by so close. You must have almost crapped yourself in that section of the bridge when the train went by. Thanks again for the stories and the pics. Heres the Winslow bridge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinhooa/2109955700/in/set-72157603873178035/

Kevin

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Interesting information, thanks much. To be fair those picks were taken by a friend with a passion for trains and train related stuff and a job that over the years let him take a lot of pics of a lot of train scenarios all over the state that most folks wouldn't normally get a shot at.
I know where you speak of on the Winslow bridge. Been a long time.
The bridge right on the Pike yes was a sobering close up I've no wish to repeat.
The old one on Spring Garden Road you speak of and I pictured was the best to hang out right on that old support base pictured, kick back, get a little lit, groove with the fellas and watch trains go by way close.
I was walking this evening with my daughter and the dog and was headed up to the Wharton Ave bridge but had to cut my walk short. The nights are getting so I'll be there more. It's just a good sturdy walk to and from my house for the dog and I and any chillun' that follow.

g.