A Busy Morning in the Pines

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Jessica and I traveled to Apple Pie Hill this morning to get some updated photo’s for someone, and upon arriving we found this.

IMG_3133.JPG

I am really not sure what was going on. Most of the people on the bus were school age kids, we a few adults running the show. They would not allow them to climb the tower until after they were “done.” I was thinking they were there to clean up the place, but they did not appears to be prepared for that. In fact, I suspect some of them have chiggers already. Anyway, they may be on some sort of nature hike and the adults have a bicycle there to travel around to keep watch on them. Basically, I am just guessing.

Here is the support beam Kevin has mentioned. It is almost at the top.

IMG_3134.JPG

We then headed off for out next stop and found this Indian Pipe right in the road in the sun.

IMG_3136.JPG

For over 5 years I have attempted on numerous occasions to find a state monument and stone on the Friendship Bogs property line, and each time I have been disappointed. I had beliefs that the stone could have been part of the Atsion Tract and I wanted to find it. I finally decided this morning to try a different approach that involves electronics, and just as I was about to give up.....

IMG_3142.JPG

Unfortunately, the text proves there never was a stone there as I had thought.

IMG_3143.JPG

Then to Batsto to check out the chain, and then we visited the “knees” and the Bald Cypress trees that Barry posted the video of on youtube and I posted the article from the BCC newsletter.

Bald Cypress Knees

IMG_3151.JPG

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Great day to be in the Pines Guy, thanks for posting and sharing. real nice pics as always, i really liked the Indian Pipe pic.

Jim

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Nice shot from the tower, Guy. Interesting how you can tell it's morning by the length and direction of the shadows. Maybe your last shot from up there before dismantling. :(

John-

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice shot from the tower, Guy. Interesting how you can tell it's morning by the length and direction of the shadows. Maybe your last shot from up there before dismantling. :(

John-

I suspect they will keep it there at least for a while. They need to catch a few individuals as they did at Carranza Memorial and things might improve.

The photo was taken at 9:25:03AM.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Nice shots guy. I watched Barrys youtube video the other day.(I think it was his. Did he also post a video of the hemlocks cut down at Pleasant mills church?). I didn't know there was any bald cypress in the pines, I thought it was a little to far north for them to survive. Global warming?

Chris

After Barry's video, somebody did some digging, and found an article about how one of Joseph Wharton's land managers had planted the cypruses. They are not found this far North naturally.

That cut beam at the fire tower is ridiculous, I can understand dropping pumpkins from the top of the tower (which is the usual brand of "I'm a dumb teenager" mischief, and not very harmful) but who cuts support poles on a fire tower!?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
After Barry's video, somebody did some digging, and found an article about how one of Joseph Wharton's land managers had planted the cypruses. They are not found this far North naturally.

That was me :) Actually, I was tipped off to it.

Guy