A Case in Herpetological Conservation

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
This guy has been around for years. Every please forgive me for talking like this but I don't care how old he is now. His brash attitude and disreguard for the law would cause an automatic @ss beating if it was up to me. Again sorry for the anger in my tone. :mad:

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
[/B]
NJSnakeMan said:
whatever happened to the simple guy in the woods with a snakehook and a camera

This is one of the reasons why it's a bad idea to get caught in the wood with a hook and camera in N.J.. :bs:

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
not necessarily, i've been stoped a few times and just questioned, but if you just have a camera they won't give you much trouble. But if you have snake bags and boxes etc. that's another story.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
swwit said:
This guy has been around for years. Every please forgive me for talking like this but I don't care how old he is now. His brash attitude and disreguard for the law would cause an automatic @ss beating if it was up to me. Again sorry for the anger in my tone. :mad:

No apology necessary. If I ever see him out there, the next big topic of discussion on this site will be the article describing how a young man was arrested for beating an old man half to death in the middle of the woods.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I got about halfway through . . . the further i read, the more twisted and unfairly skewed the point of view seemed. The I scrolled up and realized its a self-published piece of opinion hosted on a website whose main product is wild animals.

Did you know you can buy primates? Does that seem not right to anyone else???

Granted . . I agree he has a point that current programs do very little to protect species compared to what they could do. But not every creature needs to be subject to "game" status. The popular opinion seems to be that a species cannot succeed without constant human supervision and intervention--i guess it was just a matter of random luck that life on the entire planet managed to evolve without our help all this time?? Give them space to live, outlaw human-based reasons for population decline, and leave them the hell alone.

At the same time . . . that doesn't give bastards like Komarek free license to use wildlife populations as their own personal pet-trade warehouse. One thing about that last article particularly annoyed me . . . where it diminished the impact of the pet trade on wild populations. Hasn't it been shown that a few dedicated people can have a huge impact on populations? Before it was the bounty on rattlers and now its the pet trade. Rattlesnake Ace or the Cobra King . . . the result is the same!

Now between everyone on this site, we have almost the entirety of wild areas in the state covered. And between ALL of us, how many NJ rattlesnakes have we collectively seen EVER? Five?? Ten? They USED to be common in this state. They had to have gone somewhere . . . and although it'd likely benefit them to migrate somewhere else, I don't think that's the case.

-Bob