A cool story about a cool car

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will start one and add the one that surprised me the most when we stumbled on it.

Reactions: 66C10

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very cool story Bob. I have a similar but not nearly as interesting story, only because it didn't end with me getting the car.

My grandfather's sister, who I called Aunt Mary, was a member of the Ivins clan from Medford and Evesham but she lived most of her life on Linwood Ave. in Collingswood with her sister Audrey and and brother-in-law Clarence. Mary's husband died very young and Mary stayed a widow for the rest of her very long life. She was a very talented violinist and an instructor at the Curtis Institute.
Now, to the car. :)

One day while visiting the Old Fogeys, as my mother called them, I ventured outside and started poking around the small backyard because I was bored shitless sitting on the porch listening to creaking rocking chairs with the smell of moth balls wafting through the air and watching old people fan themselves with Foster Funeral Home complimentary hand-held straw fans. So, I went inside their old wood-framed garage to snoop around a little and there it was, a shiny green 1961 Dodge Pioneer. It looked like a chromed-out boat and it was in mint condition. I was probably 8 years old or so when I first saw it. I ran into the house to tell my dad about my cool discovery and Clarence quickly said "That's our car." I had never seen Clarence, his wife or my Aunt Mary drive before.

As time went on, Clarence and his wife passed but my Aunt Mary damn near lived forever. The Pioneer remained in the garage and Aunt Mary was still going strong when I got my driver's license in the mid-70's. One day, my dad and I were at her house helping her around the house and she said, "Junior (my dad) we need to get that car running and sell it." I was excited and wanted to get it running just so I could drive it. My dad and I put a battery in it a few weeks later and it started right up. It ran a little rough, probably because of the old gas in it. We drained the oil and drove it to a gas station and tanked it up and aired up the tires and then drove it around Collingswood for awhile. My dad let me drive it and I was in heaven. It had a push button transmission on the dash that I will never forget.

Later on, I asked Aunt Mary if I could take it home for a little while to show it off to my buddies a little and she gladly let me. In those years, Aunt Mary and my grandmother came to our house every Sunday for dinner. So I got to drive to Collingswood and pick up Aunt Mary and my dad would pick up his mother in Moorestown and bring them to our house. I did that only two or three times and then she said to my dad, "Junior, we still need to sell that car." My dad looked over at my disappointed mug and said to Aunt Mary,"Okay". Realistically, at age 17, I couldn't afford to buy it and I certainly wouldn't be able to keep it running. So away it went.

I am sorry it wasn't a more exciting story with really cool pictures, but that's all I got. :D

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My long term girlfriend from the 1970s era had a single mother, as her dad had died years before. Back then, they wrote to a lonely hearts column in the papers to find a mate. She found this guy on the lower border of the Adirondacks in Gloversville. He had an old Edsel that looked just like the one below. He was one of those older guys who would hum to himself, but there was no defined tune, or rhyme or reason to it. Didn't bother me, but thought it was a funny kind of thing.

Reactions: Teegate

noboat

Explorer
Feb 1, 2010
Waterford Works
I had the pontaic version 65 2+2

1710270504198.png