A couple Forgotten Mills in Cumberland County

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I need some help from our historians on here. Me and a friend of mine have been exploring in a couple areas of Cumberland County and have acquired a few mysteries that neither of us know the answers to.I wouldn't even know where to find the answers outside of the great historians that hang out on this forum.perhaps in a historical society if I knew just what to look for.The only reference I have is the Hartman maps and they don't say much. The first thing we're looking for is confimation of a Grist Mill on laurens Branch.We are going to beat down the stream in a couple days looking but this is God Awful catbriar country. Laurens Bog is here. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.372013555083065&lng=-74.9321212212372&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx= Also nearby we managed to beat into a high feature that my friend had found earlier.We lost much hide getting there.I call it daffodil Island because there are daffodils growing on it along with one grape vine.On Historical aerials in the 30's and 40's there were no trails to this island but in 63 the area was apparently logged by the looks of the new grid work of roads and one road does go to the island.In the 70's all traces of the roads were gone.The island is here http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.37439385151976&lng=-74.9320139328766&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx= There is a few lines in the Manumuskin Plan about a mill stone being pulled out of the pond or nearby in the 40's, other then that we can find nothing about this bog or mill.
The second area is up at the northern edge of the county on Scotland Run. There is an old bridge across the run that I think may be more then just a bridge. The bridge spans from Pittsgrove twp Salem county to Vineland in Cumb County.On the Vineland side there is a very nice cellar hole along with a couple massive white oaks and a very open gorgeous savannah of Carex pennsylvanica along with another smaller foundation hole of some sort nearby. Now this is on the very edge of the Hartman Maps and Willow grove lake downstream is noted to have a "saw Mill",upstream on Malaga lake is noted to have a "Grist Mill" but at this foundation a dam is pictured and nothing else.Now I am going to post a pic of this bridge I spoke of.It is approached from the Salem County side by a raised dike that now serves as a trail through a nice cedar swamp. The pic is from the Salem side looking toward Vineland and the boards are placed there so you can walk across without tight rope walking the concrete like a cat which I am no longer able to do.The belly gets to swinging and throws me off balance. Now as you will notice this bridge is quite odd looking for an old bridge.You'd expect a bridge leading to a one or two house settlement,possibly slightly bigger to be made of wood.The creek is only maybe twenty feet wide and maybe four feet deep. I suspect this "bridge" is actually the remains of some type of mill and that the road across the swamp is the actual dam.This bridge sets here. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.56313191088879&lng=-75.06494421165468&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=
Any info on either of these spots would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 300
Reactions: Spung-Man

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Manumuskin,

Which Hartman map marks a grist mill in on Lawrens Branch in Hesstown? All I remember are beaver ponds marked there, but it makes sense to use every bit of water power to make life easier. That is a serviceable place to put a mill. Like old taverns, little mills pop up in unexpected places, like small branches that today seem too dry to support a mill. Uncle Budd feels a "little mill" was more about the size of water storage than mill size. A "little mill" lacked enough head to run the wheel full time so its operation was intermittent, like Smith's up by Weymouth.

S-M

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Actually your right, the Hartman maps do not say there is a mill on Laurens Branch.The Manumuskin Management Plan states that there was a mill stone removed from the Laurens Branch in the 40's I believe. It's a sizable plan and I"ll have to see if I can find the page and I"ll do a screen shot here. I believe it stated it was taken in the vicinity of the bog.Saturday I and the other interested party are going to walk the creek below the bog in search if the eathern dam supposedly below the bog and see if we can find a raceway and possibly mill remains.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, how's your chigs down there this year?
Worst I think I"ve ever seen em Bob.I have only gotten a few here and there but I"ve kept myself sprayed or I have rubber boots on just for the chigs but every time Bill has gone with me He gets covered.One day I gave him my spray and he sprayed himself good but he went to set his recorder on the ground to take a recording and his arm brushed some grass on the way down,immediately is arm began to itch.He pulled out a flash light and his arm was covered.Are they bad up there?
Also anyone else I know down here that goes into the woods has come out crying.Thats why I"m taking precautions.Not in the mood for them this year.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yea they are bad, I just moved to Gandys Beach and was doing some hiking near the Downe Twp. recycling center and came out covered.
Dude! your not that far from me! I"m out on disability now but will be going back soon.When I have weekends off I"ll let you know.Hell, living in Gandys Beach the chigs are the least of your problems.The chigs can't get you when your airborne being carried away by Greenheads.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes, bad here Al. A couple weeks ago, a small swarm ended up on my pants just above the knee (as usual). I had permethrin on the pants. They stopped moving all of a sudden and just stood there like a deer in the headlights. I brushed them off easily. But last week with Guy, even though I had soaked my pants (and inside the boots!) the night before, they made it all the way down inside the boot to my cuff before I brushed them off. Got 'em all...but I'm not so sure permethrin is always the cure-all. Maybe they would have died after they bit me. Too late, huh.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have gotten them with peremthrin that was a few days old and had been in the woods once already.The pants and socks were not washed but put aside as woods britches.I have never gotten chiggers when the chemical was fresh.I think you have run into a new species called "Super Chiggers"!

Dude! your not that far from me! I"m out on disability now but will be going back soon.When I have weekends off I"ll let you know.Hell, living in Gandys Beach the chigs are the least of your problems.The chigs can't get you when your airborne being carried away by Greenheads.

Yea coming from Smithville though I was already living amongst some larger-than-normal green heads. From the frying pan to the fire as they say. Yea let me know when you're free and we'll hit up some spots.

Reactions: manumuskin