A Creek And Three Branches, A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Todays PBX trip has been a long time in the making. Back in March Bob announced that Chris (Hewey) had designed a trip for us, and here is an edited version of Bob's announcement.

PBX Exploring Trip--A Creek and 3 Branches

Winter is gone, gone, gone....put yer rubber boots on...lets get the hell out of Dodge and into the woods!

This trip was designed by Chris and is a true exploration of the wilds of Cedar Creek! We'll meet at 8:30 AM at the Dover Forge Canoe Launch on Saturday, 3 April. From there we'll cross Cedar Creek by canoe, then stash the canoe, and head off into some of the wildest country in Ocean County, or anywhere else for that matter.

On the way, we'll cross 3 Branches of Cedar Creek; Daniels, Newbolds, and Factory Branch, where Chris will show us the famous Freakish Cedar of the East.

From there we'll head east through into some real back-swamp country...the outer outskirts of Double Trouble, which will be our final destination.

Hope to see you there!

Happy Trails!

Unfortunately, March had quite a bit of rain and Bob announced this the day before the hike.

This trip is hereby canceled. It is absolutely outrageous in the Cedar Creek area with flooding. Water is even starting to flow over Lacey Road up at the curve at that little branch before the lake on the Davenport Branch (right past Mule Road). I have never seen that happen before.

With the summer over it was decided today would be the day, and at 8:30AM we finally were able to accomplish what we had waited a half a year to do. On this trip was:

Bob (bobpbx)
Chris (Hewey)
Scott (RednekF350)
Jeff (Woodjin)
Me (TeeGate)
Mike Baker from mikebaker.com
Paul
And for the first time Rob (sandcast69) who I am proud to say made it the complete way without a complaint. Well done Rob!

After a slow start trying to get all of us across the Cedar Creek, we finally were able to head into the woods and get rolling. A group photo while up to our knees in leather leaf.

IMG_5841.JPG

While looking over Live Maps, Bob noticed this location on our route. We made a point to check it out.

question.jpg

It turned out to be a few downed trees.

IMG_5844.JPG

IMG_5846.JPG

And we have to visit a spung on every PBX hike. This one was pretty dry.

IMG_5847.JPG

IMG_5851.JPG

I guess they must have been looking for something on the ground :)

IMG_5854.JPG

At an old Blueberry Farm we found two wheels from an old tractor, exactly like the ones found hidden away in the briers at Wescoat Bogs.

IMG_5856.JPG

IMG_5859.JPG

An old outhouse laying on it's side.

IMG_5858.JPG

Lunch at the local restaurant. Seating on cinder blocks.

IMG_5867.JPG

IMG_5870.JPG

An interesting looking mushroom!

IMG_5875.JPG

Rip Van Winkle taking a nap against a tree.

IMG_5877.JPG

Twenty years later he was still there!

IMG_5878.JPG

A scenic view.

IMG_5881.JPG

What have we gotten into????

IMG_5882.JPG

I threw this in.

IMG_5886.JPG

And oh so close to being as big as the "Mutha" tree of Jeff's, Chris found this slightly smaller freaky twin. A very nice find!

IMG_5890.JPG

On a frustrating note, I took quite a few video's that I am sure you would have enjoyed; however, my video settings somehow switched to the poorest settings and I just am not happy with the results.

And finally, I want to thank Boyd for going above and beyond the call of duty for making me a special map to use in my GPS for the hike. The map allowed me to go paperless for the first time on a PBX hike, and be able to follow along with our route perfectly. I can't say enough how well it worked for me, and how much more I enjoyed the hike because of it. I truly appreciate your contribution to me and PBX.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I have been wanting to do this hike for a long time. This is my home chunck of woods with it being less then 2 miles from home. I have spent many days in this piece of woods but never traversed it from one side to the other. Yesterday I finally was able to do it. Great weather, company and woods although very thick at times.

An area at the start of the hike. It reminds me of Maine or Canada.
0512.JPG

A crystal clear spring
0522.JPG

The cedar in The Daniels Branch were virgin and very tall.
0542.JPG

Bob in the Factory Branch Swamp.
0632.JPG

Bob next to the Freak for size comparison.
0662.JPG

The Factory Branch almost to where it flows into Cedar Creek.
0683.JPG

PBX crossing The Factory Branch for the second time.
0702.JPG

Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Chris,

You designed a great hike! The photo of the spring turned out very nice. It makes me think I am there.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Really great photos - looks like you had a fun day! Glad I was able to make a small contribution Guy, and that your Oregon is earning its keep. :)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Chris designed a great hike for us through some very wild pine barrens wilderness. We didn't see any garbage (except for a few old beer cans at a crossroad) on this whole hike.

pbx_10-10_a_creek_and_three_branches_001.JPG

What a great time of year to be out in the woods
pbx_10-10_a_creek_and_three_branches_005.JPG

pbx_10-10_a_creek_and_three_branches_029.JPG

Guy
pbx_10-10_a_creek_and_three_branches_003.JPG

Chris
pbx_10-10_a_creek_and_three_branches_007.JPG

pbx_10-10_a_creek_and_three_branches_009.JPG

Can you spot the rabbit in this photo. It was probably the first human encounter he had.
pbx_10-10_a_creek_and_three_branches_017.JPG

shelter
pbx_10-10_a_creek_and_three_branches_024.JPG

Bob and Chris in the thick of it.
pbx_10-10_a_creek_and_three_branches_032.JPG

Fall colors at the edge of a dry spung
pbx_10-10_a_creek_and_three_branches_018.JPG

Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
great pics! I really liked the factory branch shot and the medder shots.wish i was there but working 4 to 12 yesterday couldn't make it.will have some weekends off starting in january.hope to make a pbx hike or two then.
Al

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Everytime I see these reports I want to go more and more. Time is a killer for me now though. I hate leaving Court alone with the 3 kids since I do it 5 days out of the week already. Looked like an awesome time.

sandcast69

Jan 4, 2010
Mays Landing, N.J.
Thanks for a great time Saturday, I had a blast! You guys are the Delta force of bushwhacking.
I'm sore, bruised, cut up, and killed a set of hip waders. It was a good day!

sandcast69

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for a great time Saturday, I had a blast! You guys are the Delta force of bushwhacking.
I'm sore, bruised, cut up, and killed a set of hip waders. It was a good day!

sandcast69

I am glad you enjoyed yourself. There is always uncertainty on anyones first outing, and I suspect that was why you were so quiet. I am sorry if I kept asking if you were okay but I did not want you to have a problem and us keep going like we did not care. At times it was a little intense and you did quite well.

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Sorry that I missed this one! You had beautiful weather and scenery. Do you think the tractor wheels were switched for a different type and then forgotten about?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Do you think the tractor wheels were switched for a different type and then forgotten about?

That certainly could be true. Those type of wheels must have been popular.

At Wescoat Bogs.

IMG_8747.JPG

1.JPG

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It was good to get back into the big woods after the long hiatus since the May trip.
Chris put together a killer hike and we saw a lot of remote country that few have ever tread.
The cedar swamp stretch in the afternoon damn near killed me as I struggled to keep up with the hippers holding me back.
Sandcast did well and I hope he gives it another shot in the future.
At 46, he was the third youngest out of the 8 that made the trek. The oldest was 62 and he is a marathoner.

One of the things I appreciate the most about these trips is knowing I am healthy enough to complete them.
They are not easy hikes and one has to realize what 6 miles from point A to point B through woods, spungs, deadfall filled swamps and streamcrossings feels like when there is no path made for you in between.

Your health is the most precious thing you have in this world and this past week put it more into perspective than ever for me.
My wife of almost 28 years underwent a lobectomy (removal of a portion of the lung) last Monday and is recovering slowly at home right now.
We have been together since we were 17.
Completing the hike last Saturday, with her encouragement to take part in it, meant more to me than words can express.

As for tangible trip highlights, here is a picture of a unique find. It appears to be a small railway used to haul logs from a swamp. We tried tracking it a little ways under the mud with no success.
img_06151.jpg

As for the wheel, it wasn't a last minute tire change. The axle housing was snapped.

img_06101.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
One of the things I appreciate the most about these trips is knowing I am healthy enough to complete them.
They are not easy hikes and one has to realize what 6 miles from point A to point B through woods, spungs, deadfall filled swamps and streamcrossings feels like when there is no path made for you in between.

So true! A couple places along that route was very challenging.

Guy

sandcast69

Jan 4, 2010
Mays Landing, N.J.
My favorite part of the hike had to be toward the end in the area we found the railway tracks. I've never seen so many pitcher plants in my life! Thanks again for letting me tag along, I'll definitely be doing that again.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
My favorite part of the hike had to be toward the end in the area we found the railway tracks. I've never seen so many pitcher plants in my life! Thanks again for letting me tag along, I'll definitely be doing that again.

Glad to hear that Rob, it was a pleasure having you along.

Jeff

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I've never seen so many pitcher plants in my life! Thanks again for letting me tag along, I'll definitely be doing that again.

I have thought the same thing about that area.

It was good to have you along. we will see you on the next adventure.

Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No doubt it was a great hike. That area is ripe for exploring and I have already found a few places I want to visit.

Guy

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Thanks for the great pics. Those of us who no longer live in the great state of NJ can still enjoy the pines through your adventures.
Scott, the pic of the railroad tracks is cool, amazing, and intrigueing. One question: any tics?

Best wishes to you and your wife for a complete recovery Scott.