A crimson harvest

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
WASHINGTON — Retired Lumberton police Chief Larry Thomas is doing a different type of patrolling these days.
He’s knee-deep in water, herding wayward cranberries into a vacuum pipe — the first step on their journey to Ocean Spray for processing into juice or Craisins.
Chesterfield Officer Ed Vincent joins him.
They are two of several police officers who spend their days off this month at the Lee Brothers Cranberry Farm in Washington, Woodland and Tabernacle.
They wade through flooded cranberry bogs “for the fun of it,” Thomas said. “After 30 years in police work, it’s nice to work outside.”
All spring and summer, the cranberries grow in bogs — square plots of sandy soil surrounded on all sides by higher berms called dams.
The dams delineate the bogs, giving a cranberry farm a quilted look. The closer the berries are to the sun, the redder they get as they grow. Those shaded by other berries remain a milky white, although they, too, are ripening
http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loc...cle_90c44616-f88b-5924-a1d5-59604d6c4da8.html

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I harvested cranberries at Lees bogs and the police are well represented there. They also get access to his property during hunting season for helping out. At least that was what I was told by the police I talked to while there.

Jessica pushing the cranberries.

Jessica.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What is interesting in the above photo is the rope railing. If you don't use that railing and the boards under it, you will plunge into the gully around the bog.

Guy