A day I do not look forward too

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
is today, trick or treat in this area thanks to the Toms River Halloween parade. The doorbell will probably start ringing around 1. There was a forecast of rain, but its gorgeous out, so 'they' will be out in force, some pull up in vans. I had hoped to get a lions mane costume for Max and use a plastic chain to the door handle to intimidate them, but they were all sold out. Maybe I'll just hide in the basement and munch on candy :bang:

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
That's one advantage to living back in the woods way off the road, never had a trick or treater here. ;)
When I lived in my townhouse they seemed to bus them in. We would have to just sit on the front porch and has out candy as the line formed. Now we just get a few local kids which are mostly friends of my kids.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was passing through Whitesbog yesterday and they had Halloween going on. I guess they never get anyone either so they have it the day or so ahead.

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I was pleased with the turnout of kids yesterday. Mostly young kids under 10 'ish and surprisingly polite.

And then this happened.
A neighbor had a fire in their house, supposedly heater related. There were at least ten pieces of fire equipment, 5 police cars and the Forest Fire Service showed up too. I smelled smoke around 6:15 and I heard a distant smoke alarm when I was on my porch giving out candy. By 6:30 it was a whirlwind of equipment and manpower. Comforting to see such a quick and full bore response in our area.
I am hoping that the fire was not too damaging.
It really slowed the trick or treaters who lined up to watch the action.

Sadly this is the second fire at this house. the original owners had a terrible fire about 5 years ago and lost several pets. They were so distraught they never moved back in and then sold it.
fireuntitled.png

noboat

Explorer
Feb 1, 2010
Waterford Works
I was pleased with the turnout of kids yesterday. Mostly young kids under 10 'ish and surprisingly polite.

And then this happened.
A neighbor had a fire in their house, supposedly heater related. There were at least ten pieces of fire equipment, 5 police cars and the Forest Fire Service showed up too. I smelled smoke around 6:15 and I heard a distant smoke alarm when I was on my porch giving out candy. By 6:30 it was a whirlwind of equipment and manpower. Comforting to see such a quick and full bore response in our area.
I am hoping that the fire was not too damaging.
It really slowed the trick or treaters who lined up to watch the action.

Sadly this is the second fire at this house. the original owners had a terrible fire about 5 years ago and lost several pets. They were so distraught they never moved back in and then sold it.
View attachment 8274
I heard them go by ...Yea there was a lot of them from atco and the works.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We had a good turnout. Most had parents so the kids were good. Plus, most of them know my wife from the school. We heard a few of them yelling her name from the street. That actually happens quite often.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I heard them go by ...Yea there was a lot of them from atco and the works.
Yea. I heard there was a lot. I was asked today by someone who lives out there why so many were needed for such a small fire. I reminded him all fires start out small and there are no hydrants out there so they need to bring their own water;)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Yea. I heard there was a lot. I was asked today by someone who lives out there why so many were needed for such a small fire. I reminded him all fires start out small and there are no hydrants out there so they need to bring their own water;)

You can't believe the puzzled looks I get when I tell people there are no fire hydrants where I live. They can't fathom how fires are fought or where male dogs pee.
:)