A Day In The Pines

Oct 25, 2006
I have just uploaded four recent outings to my albums in the photo section. This outing was on 9/29. For the first trip report, it was out to Atsion. The first pic is of the plastic bridge.
IMG_0163_1.jpg

While spending some time at the bridge, me and my friend George decided to move on to Atsion to do some exploring. This pic is of the southern side of the mansion.
IMG_0164_1.jpg

We then traveled on Quaker Bridge road to check out the cemetery next to the Grace Bible Church.
IMG_0173_1.jpg

Going back north to rt.206 we decided to visit this cemetery at Atsion Lake in one of the picnic groves.
IMG_0165_1.jpg

After visiting the site we then went across rt. 206 to visit the following three ruins. The first of a collapsed house.
IMG_0166_1.jpg

The second pic is of a ruin on the way to where the old Atsion railroad station used to be.
IMG_0168_1.jpg

Another ruin on way to the station site.
IMG_0167_1.jpg

We then parked the car at the intersection where the railroad station was located and walked the tracks to the railroad bridge over the Mullica taking a pic of this off to the side of the tracks.
IMG_0169_1.jpg

After walking to the railroad bridge over the Mullica, we then headed back to the car, it was time to visit the cotton mill and blacksmith site taking this pic.
IMG_0170_1.jpg

I then went slag hunting and found this.
IMG_0172_1.jpg

I then had to go to Tuckerton to meet up with someone at my old marina, i decided to take Quaker Bridge Road to Iron Pipe Road to rt.563 to get to Tuckerton, we stopped at Mount and took this pic of the cellar hole of the hotel site.
IMG_0175_11.jpg

Passing the old town of Washington i made a left on rt.563 to go to rt.679, we then made a left on stage rd. and right past the campground on the left hand side of the road the hazardous road condition signs started appearing to right up to the GSP, i would not take this road at night, the potholes are deep. Arriving in Tuckerton i made a right onto Great Bay Boulevard and just before the first bridge on the right hand side i took this pic of the Tuckerton Shell Mound. This was a gathering place for the Indians, off limits to all by law in present day.
IMG_0189_1.jpg

Arriving at my old marina i took the last pic of the day of the fish factory or stink house, notice Atlantic City off to the left of the pic, it was a 1 hr ride by boat to reach AC through the back bays and the intercoastal waterway.
IMG_0176_11.jpg

It felt really great getting out in the car again touring the pines and the shore. There will be three more trip reports coming of my other outings in the very near future.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
That was a nice chunk, but look at the size of the one in the album titled Back To The Pines Again in the photo section, that was the largest piece i found that day.

Jim

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Good to see you up and traveling Jim. Nice choices for getting out again.
The pics are quite good. I look at the bridge and recall a day I went out to find the water so high, or the bridge so low, that the water was flowing unhindered and at a good clip "over and across" the bridge.
That last shot and the view of the Stink House is wonderful. An angle I've seen many times as a kid and it brought on me a sort of Melancholy Nostalgia regarding times past. Thanks.

g.

Oct 25, 2006
Yeah, nothing like using my daughter's computer, but it has windows vista and comcast hi speed internet. Awesome. Hopefully i will make up the second trip report possibly by Friday. Got chiggered once on the four outings, my fault.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
Good to see you up and traveling Jim. Nice choices for getting out again.
The pics are quite good. I look at the bridge and recall a day I went out to find the water so high, or the bridge so low, that the water was flowing unhindered and at a good clip "over and across" the bridge.
That last shot and the view of the Stink House is wonderful. An angle I've seen many times as a kid and it brought on me a sort of Melancholy Nostalgia regarding times past. Thanks.

g.

George, i always am partial when it comes to Atsion.

Jim