a few new pics from barnegat light

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Had the day off, so i decided to hit barnegat light and look for the harlequins (as well as some other things). It was insanely windy, however, so I imagine I didnt' see quite as much as i would have in other conditions. In any case:

First I opted to climb the lighthouse for the full hurricane force. The wind was fun. The climbing . . . not so much.

First I gained a new perspective on Island Beach State Park from across the inlet:

normal_PC162057.JPG

Then Barnegat Light:

normal_PC162060.JPG

After I was done having a heart attack from the lighthouse adventure, I hit the jetty in search of interesting birds. There were a few, but naturally I just had one main goal. Seeing them makes everything else pale in comparison.

PC162104sm.jpg

PC162094sm.jpg

PC162085sm.jpg

With any luck I'll be able to top these pictures in a month or so.

-Bob

Nice shots. Did you happen to see the Black Guilemot? A very rare visitor to this area. It has been reported to be hanging around the jetties at Barnegat Light. I went there last week to see it but had no luck. Others I spoke to there said they had seen it that day and there was also a group of about thirty people there I assume to try to see it.

Steve

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
BEHR655 said:
Nice shots. Did you happen to see the Black Guilemot? A very rare visitor to this area. It has been reported to be hanging around the jetties at Barnegat Light. I went there last week to see it but had no luck. Others I spoke to there said they had seen it that day and there was also a group of about thirty people there I assume to try to see it.

Steve

I heard that too---I kept an eye out but w/o any luck. There were a bunch of birds randomly hanging about off the very end of the jetty---which is where everyone with a scope was today. Problem was by the time I got that far out, they were already headed back down the beach (while i was headed up the rocks)--so i didn't get a chance to ask about it. I did read that its been heading further into the bay as the days go by---which would mean i was in the wrong place anyhow. . . .