A few rough pictures from last winter

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
After seeing the amazing quality of the photography here, I'll admit to apprehension about posting any of my rough, point and shoot cell phone pictures. You've all been very kind and patient with me so far, though, so I'm going to chance it.

Each of them should be some combination of 800 x 600. I added my name and e-mail address not so much for me but just in case it helps Guy and Jon and Ben and all of the other real photographers protect their work. If that's not necessary for my pictures, or if there is anything else I should be aware of for future posts here, please let me know.

(Edit, June 2, 2023 -- Pictures originally watermarked with name and e-mail address replaced with versions containing low-opacity NJPB watermarks.)

Goshen pond_2022_12_26.png

Boxing Day 2022. Since I have a glass jaw, it seemed prudent to hide out at Goshen Pond.

Wells Mills sunset_2023_01_13.png

Sunset at Wells Mills County Park, January 2023.

Parker Preserve green_2023_01_28.png

Parker Preserve green trail, January 2023.

Parker Preserve yellow_pine cone_2023_02_11.png

Parker Preserve yellow trail, February 2023.

Parker Preserve yellow_leaning pine_2023_02_11.png

Parker Preserve yellow trail, February 2023.

Parker Preserve white_2023_02_11.png

Parker Preserve white trail, February 2023.

Cloud ridges at home_2023_02_20.png

This was actually taken in my backyard at Tabernacle, before going to Parker Preserve, February 2023.

Parker Preserve makeshift bridge across canal_2023_02_20.png

Makeshift bridge across canal at Parker Preserve, February 2023. With the aid of a makeshift hiking staff, I attempted crossing the makeshift bridge. In the best Tom Swiftie reporting tradition: "'I didn't fall in,' John said dryly." (Do I get any PBX trainee points for the crossing, or were they forfeited by that last awful pun? :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks John. Putting your info on the photos, in my opinion, only detracts from them. I never do, and I could not care any less if anybody uses my photos as long as they say who took them.

A member here took photos of Friendship years ago and posted them on this site without his name on it. That photo made its way to the Evan's & Wills collection at Stockton until I noticed it, told them about it, and had the photographer get in touch with them. That is a story in itself :) Anyway, Stockton thought they were from the Evan's and Wills family and the photographer would have never received credit due. Even the date the photo was taken was not correct. If you value your photos I would suggest you always put your name on them.

stockton.jpg

Reactions: M1 Abrams

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
A member here took photos of Friendship years ago and posted them on this site without his name on it. That photo made its way to the Evan's & Wills collection at Stockton until I noticed it, told them about it, and had the photographer get in touch with them. That is a story in itself :) Anyway, Stockton thought they were from the Evan's and Wills family and the photographer would have never received credit due. Even the date the photo was taken was not correct. If you value your photos I would suggest you always put your name on them.

View attachment 19913
No thanks. Life is just too short. I really don't care about it.

PS: when AI really gets going, this will all be blurred and nobody will care to sort it all out.

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
@bobpbx @Teegate

Thank you both for the feedback on watermarking. In the interest of sucking up to both of you...I mean, in finding an appropriate middle ground :D, how about something like this?

Pair of Lady Slippers_2023_05_10.png

May 2023. In an area that produced fourteen Lady Slippers in 2022, I only saw three this year.

This replaces my information with a simple, low-opacity NJPB watermark. This version should at worst only be a minor detraction. For a highly-skilled photographer creating valuable content, this type of watermark might not be sufficient, but the needs of a tyro are far more modest.

If it comes to it, Guy, you've already tracked down one wayward NJPB-posted picture sans watermark. Between you and the collective abilities of the NJPB membership, and yours truly being a low-priority target...and yes, life just being too short, less should be sufficient.

(As for when AI really gets going, how bad could it be? Meanwhile, think I'll read something light before calling it a night. Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" seems like a nice, restful tale.)

Reactions: Boyd and bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" seems like a nice, restful tale.)
I feel that way about two things:

1) the Putin war against Ukraine. I feel helpless and frustrated that I can have no real positive impact on that.
2) the crime spree in Philly. Ditto, like the above.