A fun day in the Pine Barrens - trip # 2 - 06/17/06

Mike_Future

May 8, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
This time the weather was on our side as we entered Carranza road and headed for a spot we had found last time. This time around I had my gear ready :

edit3-1.jpg

We headed for the old train tracks around 11:30am after a quick brunch. The weather was warm, partly cloudy, and the insects were numerous including a giant Bald-Faced Hornet that was buzzing around some plants.

edit10.jpg

We headed down the trail and there was plenty of bird life present, but no sign of snakes. My friend George took the tracks, and I took the wider path. Soon we found our first herp :

bwf1.jpg

Fowlers Toad (Bufo fowleri)

I have seen many fowlers here in Connecticut, but I thought this one had some nice color. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was hunting the numerous black beetles we saw running through the sands.

Back in the truck, we ventured further down the road and got caught in a sand storm stirred up by a line of 3 cars flying in the opposite direction. A little ways down we came upon a bridge, a small stream, and some old foundations. We were greeted by this wily fellow.

ek.jpg

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)

The foundations looked promising, but again there was no snakes to be found. At the first spot pictured, I swore I heard the rattle of a Timber, but after some careful searching we saw no sign of a rattlesnake.

edit9.jpg

edit8.jpg

A quick stop back to the tracks turned into a long hike out into some brilliant white sands.

edit6.jpg

Again, what seemed like perfect habitat turned up no snakes. We did see a snake track, however. A snake which we must have just missed.

edit7.jpg

The woods started getting thick, so we headed back and made our way to the next destination : Batsto Village. We paid the $5 parking charge, and headed into the trails.

edit5.jpg

The trails were crisscrossed by ditches and sandy roads. We picked a trail and were soon greeted by a strange fellow riding a dirt bike. He had the whole get-up on, so I can imagine the sweat forming...eh, i'll leave that one alone :eek: He came upon us as we were studying the numerous spider species we saw scurrying through the yellow sand. (which I will post once I have them identified). Soon after, we found this Fowlers toadlet.

bwf2.jpg

The sun came out, and we felt the heat as we hiked through the sand, turning around, and heading back to the parking lot. This time we noticed a nice looking pile of logs, so we stopped to take a look. I noticed a little movement...

edit1.jpg

suh1.jpg

suh3.jpg

suh4.jpg

suh.jpg

Eastern Fence Lizard (Sceloporus undulatus)

These two females didn't take off like I expected. They seemed preoccupied with the log pile, and darted in & out as we took pictures of the well-camoflauged saurians. Finding these lizards is a first for me, and only the second lizard species I have found in the field. The first were Green Anoles in North Carolina. I had never expected to see one of the lizard species in NJ, and it made the trip worth it in my book.

Letting the lizards to continue their little fights and races, we headed back to the truck, and set home.

No ticks, no chiggers, and no snakes...but a fun and successful trip nonetheless. We plan to come back sometime to once again search for the elusive species of serpent we had hoped for. Perhaps September will be more productive?

Being in the Pines is amazing. I have seen so much, and lived one of my dreams. I would like to thank everyone who has offered me advice and helped me along the way. until next time....

~ Mike V.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Glad you had a good time. Its ashame you found no snakes but that is just the way the pines tend to be. Fence swifts are real common in the pines, they are friendly guys and normally tolerate the whole photo taking process. The first fowler's toad was a nice one, the second looked like he could use a good meal. Next time your down I can show you to an area where I can at least guarentee a black racer, box turtle, and spotted turtles. Oh and the sound that you thought was a rattler could have been an insect. There is a type of hopping insect that makes a rattle like noise. I've heard them often and always think a snake shaking its tail, it however is more faint than a rattlesnake. Also, those kind of bugs are often in that kind of grass in that picture.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report and photos. Those foundations you came u[pon are Joseph Whartons old barn foundations at the lost town of Friendship. The toads have been all over. I don't recall ever seeing so many.

Jeff