A good first hour in the pines

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Went out hiking today got out around 10:30 in cumberland county. The first hour I was out there turned out to be my best ever. First stumbled upon this smallish racer, he was the first of six I would see and the 18th in three trips.
IMG_6018.jpg

Next I saw these two female boxies they were very heavy and a few weeks away from laying eggs,
IMG_6030.jpg

IMG_6038.jpg

Next I saw a five-lined skink, a first for me in the pines
IMG_6045.jpg

Walking back to my spotted turtle spot I came across this monster, he was every bit of 6 feet and thick, he was also a big fan of the photo taking process,
IMG_6049.jpg

IMG_6054.jpg

ratsnake.jpg

After him I saw three common inhabitants of the pines, the paint was found next to a brackish creek, didn't think they occur in salty water
IMG_6074.jpg

IMG_6086.jpg

IMG_6090.jpg

And lastly a juvenille spotted turtle, saw five today, but this was the first non-adult of the year.
IMG_6081.jpg

A really good morning, a pine snake short of best ever.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That elusive pine snake is haunting you I see :D

Very nice photo's.

Guy

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Sweet Stuff!! Found a spotted turtle about a week ago crossing my path.... cool snakes too. I've found LOTS of Black Rats in the Pines, but never ever a black racer.... Weird????

And yeah, that's an old five-lined skink.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Brandon, did you find the spotted in atlantic county? Suprised you have found no racers I see about a half a dozen different ones every time out, in the same general area though. This is only the second black rat I've seen, and I doubt I will every see a more heatlhy specimen. The nice thing about all the reptiles I see, at this spot, they are always from a physical standpoint, beautiful healthy specimens. The box turtles for not being out of hibernation too long where extremely heavy.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Dragoncjo....about the painted turtle...

It's funny how many reptiles/amphibians can survive in Brack/Salt water habitats. My first ever black rat snake was actually IN a salt marsh while i was out birding, basking on top of some dead, pushed over weeds. 4' and healthy. The same day I found painted turtles, green frogs, and even a Gray Treefrog hiding away in a bird house.

I also, have two other friends who found black rats in brack habitats. There is a shoprite in somers point.. behind it there is a salt marsh, and last year my friend Andrew was riding his bike when a 3' rat was crawling his way towards the shoprite building. We've been checking tin since but haven't turned up another rat snake... just lots of fowler's toads.

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
i remember i few years ago, my dad shared an interesting hypothesis with me. on his way to wildwood when he was a kid, by the salt marshes he would see huge black ratsnakes basking, he theorized that the really huge ones loved the marshes because it may be more inaccessable than other places and that they would eat small muskrats, ive always liked this idea, because it makes me wonder if they do like these spots there might be some huge ones out there, no telling just what sizes they could reach, ive always found that interesting, and one day hope to find a monster black ratsnake

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The black rat I saw wasn't actually near brackish water. However, many of the racers I see are always near brackish water. The black rat in that photo was the biggest I think I will ever see. I know in new jersey they say that they only get six feet...but this thing was huge and extremely fat. A truly beautiful specimen.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Went out again today, nothing was out. Too hot for the old reliables like spotted turtles and racers. Did see another black rat snake, a juvie box turtle, and fowler's toads. Also saw about a dozen raided turtle nests, mostly redbelly or painted. The black rat was smallish 3 feet and skinny. Made me realize how big the other rat snake actually was. Once again a nice specimen though, here are some pics,
IMG_6148.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

IMG_6139.jpg

IMG_6114.jpg