A Living Legend

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Speaking of legends, guess who I saw today in the flesh and blood? None other than Bill Wasovich (sp?), the gentleman who visited Fred Brown a lot in John McPhees book. He looked EXACTLY like I pictured him to. He had on gum rubber boots to his knees, and an old-time looking ball cap that fit the head snugly. He was striding through a yard, fluid as a cat for a man his age. Pretty tall he is too.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I met Bill a few years ago. We were planing an outdoor display on sphagnum moss at the Pine Barrens Jamboree and he let us borrow his moss press. He was supposed to come along too, but changed his mind at the last second, most likely due to his being on the shy side. He spoke very little, but was so to the point, he didn't need to say much.

At the time, he was still selling moss to the state tree nursery in Jackson, for wrapping around bare root seedlings. Terry O'Leary told me they had a heck of a time getting the paperwork done in order for the state to buy it from him. He isn't exactly a paperwork kind of guy, and the state.........well, you know how they are when it comes to paperwork!

Besides a bunch of moss bales, he also had a barn full of bundles of hucklebery branches. If I remember right, he said he sold them to florists, who paint them white and use them in Christmas displays.

He also said he had never been to the doctor or a hospital in his life! He didn't seem any worse the wear for it. Quite an interesting guy, and certainly one of the last of the genuine pineys, in the most comlimentary sense of the word.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The newspaper article on him that was posted on this site at one time talked about him not showing up. He said he had never committed to it.

It is interesting that he mentioned in the article that he was having problems finding places to get his "supplies" because people were always calling up the authorities on him. The pines are closing in it appears :( So I assume he still has places to go to find what he needs to survive. Good for him! Thanks German!

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I never met the man myself. However I know were he resides due to some mutual aquintences. Last fall he was living in a hunting club as a kind of a caretaker or something of that nature. In respect for the man's privacy I won't mention which club. I guess that would be considered similar to his lifestyle in the late sixties. As far as I know the hunting club thing might have been temporary and he might be somewhere else now, I don't know.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I think there are two clubs in that area, and I have been by there several times hoping to catch him outside. I know he would talk to me, all I have to do is show him the picture of my father. My dad used to go up there and sit with him, drink his beer and play his banjo. This would go on for hours, so I know the man can talk. I think I might take a trip in that area tomarrow.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
As I was telling Long-a-coming via private message, can you imagine how he looks at all the changes, such as those screaming japanese ninja motorcycles now invading his territory? Or even all the high tech hunters. Must drive him crazy thinking about the old times. There are very few places to hide and (As in Long's profile)..."get well in away from everybody".

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
There are very few places to hide and (As in Long's profile)..."get well in away from everybody".

Speaking of signatures (profile), yours is an interesting one Bob ;)

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yeah, I wonder if J. Mick was his brother. Knocked her up he did. :eek:

Never hear that term much anymore, but it was still prevalant when I was in high school.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I have seen bill [editied] a few times. I have been told this is the area he lives in. there is a few good pictures of him in the book pinelands folklife.

Edited: Please don't give out the location of where the guy lives. I am sure he wants his privacy.