A model for the geomorphology of the Carolina Bays

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://1f9hwg1wionh254zdu2abfkg.wpe...content/uploads/zamora-geomorphology-2017.pdf

I theory that proposes that the Bays were created by flying chunks of glacial ice from a meteor impact on the Laurentide Ice Shield in present day Michigan.
The paper also shows an image of Carolina bays on the Delmarva Peninsula. These are more rounded and not as large as those in Carolina.Could there perhaps be Carolina Bays in South Jersey?. I guess it's time to break out Boyd's LIDAR and give a look:)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
http://1f9hwg1wionh254zdu2abfkg.wpe...content/uploads/zamora-geomorphology-2017.pdf

I theory that proposes that the Bays were created by flying chunks of glacial ice from a meteor impact on the Laurentide Ice Shield in present day Michigan.
The paper also shows an image of Carolina bays on the Delmarva Peninsula. These are more rounded and not as large as those in Carolina.Could there perhaps be Carolina Bays in South Jersey?. I guess it's time to break out Boyd's LIDAR and give a look:)

Uh oh, you just got Mark started up, and revving to go!

Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Joe Arsenault led a couple botany trips in Glassboro WMA. He is doing a study in there, and there are a lot of light depressions that I puzzle over. This is the Little Ease Run, at the headwaters of the Maurice.

upload_2017-12-23_15-26-9.png

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Now that I study this I think I have it figured out! They"re Bigfoot Tracks Bob! They plainly look like very large Moccasin Tracks,either Bigfoot wears Mocks or it could be a heavily furred sole? No meteorite would leave impressions pinched in the middle.. This is a family of Ice Age Squatches that did this.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Manumuskin,

Ice Age Squatches, hmm...

I am acquainted with Zamora and his work. Most geomorphologists, myself included, assign basin genesis to strong Pleistocene wind-action. I work with both the impact- and eolian-science community, so have a basic understanding of arguments on both sides. Even in the greater impact community, few hold that Carolina Bays (spungs, Delmarva Bays, Pongos, etc.) are impact relicts. The known ground evidence refutes an impact hypothesis, and supports an eolian footprint.

S-M

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
You are saying wind action created those perfect ellipses all on the same directional axis? Is this what created the many vernal ponds here in South Jersey? Why the perfection in axis and shape in the carolinas but not elsewhere? Maybe, Just perhaps the carolina bays are Squatch tracks in snowshoes?