A Morning In The Pine With My Father-In-Law

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

My father-in-law recently retired so Jessica and I took him with us today to see the sights. Where I live there is no snow at all on the ground so I was planning to do some monument searching which was not to be. Carranza Road has as much snow now as we received the other day. So I changed plans and decided to show him a few locations in the pines, and promptly got stuck at Carranza Road and the JCRR. The snow was covering the sugar sand and I buried my car. Having some experience at getting stuck, we were out in less than 15 minutes and on our way to visit the Parker Preserve. This particular area is the section that Jessica, Bob, and I visited last October and found the old house. Arriving there today I have a new “Then & Now” photo to make.

October of last year.

IMG_1321.JPG

Today

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

Meet Tom :)

IMG_1021.JPG

We were the first humans to enter the access road and walk around there since the snow.

IMG_1024.JPG

The building was obviously torn down by the same vehicle used to dig up the bogs. They have almost completed digging every bog except in the area with endangered wildlife. I can say there were some black ducks hanging out in the altered bogs, and depending on how you feel about the alteration will dictate how you feel about a few black ducks taking advantage of it.

IMG_1023.JPG

We did stop in and check out the Broom Crowberry along 72 and at the FAA tower, and from my eye they look like they have not bloomed yet. Then again some people say I am blind :)

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
I took Carranza Road back from Bear Swamp Hill yesterday after viewing a Geodetic there, that is the worst i have seen Carranza Road in quite some time.

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The briers are really starting to grow along the roads, and in some area's they have already had to cut the trees growing in the road. It won't be too many years before that place looks completely different. Without the house it already does :(

Yes Jim, it was a mess.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
The briers are really starting to grow along the roads, and in some area's they have already had to cut the trees growing in the road. It won't be too many years before that place looks completely different. Without the house it already does :(

Yes Jim, it was a mess.

Guy

I got home late last night and did not have access to my daughters computer, i wanted to warn people with cars about Carranza Road.

I now have my computer back with Verizon Hi Speed Internet.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Damn I had that building on my list of places to check out....I wonder why they knocked it down? As for the bogs I'm going be interested in how they respond this year.....I wonder if the carpenter frogs will still use them?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very nice report Guy.
Count your blessings.
I loved taking woods rides with my father or my father in law when my kids were little.
I used to shove the kids between us in the pickup and cruise the "deer woods" as my father would call it.
My father in law liked cruising off Jackson Road because that is where he hunted.
Both my father and father in law were in failing health as my kids grew up and both passed on about 12 years ago when my kids were about 10.
I always felt like my kids were cheated out of having a grandfather to guide them as they went through their teens.
They have enough good memories to hold onto but I would love to have them here today.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica was a little over 1 when my dad died, and Jennifer never met him. They get along good with my father-in-law so they were only half cheated. I'll take that as a win.

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Nother newbie question:
WHY are they (who is they?) digging up the bogs?
Hurrah for the black ducks, at least.
How sad, the house being knocked apart like that. :(

~ Glo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Basically, the owners of the property (NJ Conservation Foundation) along with Biologists and the like, think that a flat area is not conducive to certain plants and creatures. By digging it up the bog will more likely grow the plants they want there, and allow various animals to benefit from the hills and valleys that result.

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Basically, the owners of the property (NJ Conservation Foundation) along with Biologists and the like, think that a flat area is not conducive to certain plants and creatures. By digging it up the bog will more likely grow the plants they want there, and allow various animals to benefit from the hills and valleys that result.

Guy

Thanks, Guy. An attractive theory, at least for those approved inhabitants. There's so much I don't know about bog-culture. :science:
~Glo