A rare Sunday outing

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We spend the early morning exploring along the Chamberlain branch about a half mile off of 539, unsuccessfully looking for a Lawrence Line stone. We were greeted quite often by shooting at the gun club on the Chamberlain by 539. It was really loud.

From there we searched every mile for a while still unsuccessfully. At that point we headed towards Laurie's road and came upon a few people leaving the Union Clay Graves and a few men a short way away unloading corn and what looked like sweet potatoes. I can't figure out what they were doing with that :)

On Laurie's road we had noticed what we thought was surveying not far from where I mentioned a few weeks back Winzinger may be opening the sand mine. I was not sure if the survey tape on Laurie's road was related to the sand mining but I think it may be. It appears that maybe the WMA is doing some water testing in the low areas maybe in preparation for trying to block the attempt to open it. I could be completely wrong and only time will tell.

Then we traveled to the Friendship area and we found a state monument. These have different markings than most of them, and are newer. I believe the 83 on them is the year it was surveyed. That would coincided with the following months after the Friendship property was purchased by the state.

main.php

We also found the stone separating the Lee property and the Parker Preserve, formerly the property of Garfield DeMarco. The yellow paint is indicative of the paint used during the 1983 survey that is found near or on almost all of the Friendship Bogs survey monuments or stones.

main.php

I stopped in at the Eagle Point gun club on Eagle road and spoke with the elderly men there. They tried to recruit me into doing their wood chopping which I promptly declined :) I was then asked if I was a hunter, and my slow reply prompted one of the men to point me to the property line. He was joking of course since they are a friendly group of men.

In any event I talked for a while, left, and returned to talk again. The conversation turned to where we all lived and I was informed that the man I was talking to the first time lived in the small farm town my mom grew up in. It turns out he knew my great grandparents, my grandparents, and my moms sister's husband. In fact he had worked with him for many years. A small world.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I also did a very very short preliminary search for New Half Way but came up empty. If you are up for that one Sunday send me an email or PM.

Guy

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
We spend the early morning exploring along the Chamberlain branch about a half mile off of 539, unsuccessfully looking for a Lawrence Line stone. We were greeted quite often by shooting at the gun club on the Chamberlain by 539. It was really loud.

Yup! "Target practice" --- trying--out and "showing--off" the new "hardware" to the "boys"... Watch yer back!!!:D

<SNIP> we... came upon a few people leaving the Union Clay Graves and a few men a short way away unloading corn and what looked like sweet potatoes. I can't figure out what they were doing with that :)

They were "baiting" deer. Sometimes, they put out a salt lick, too! They were sweet potatoes...:eng101:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have seen corn spread around for this reason before and wondered if that could possibly be legal. But I'm especially curious now, because somebody has spread quite a bit of it around just over my property line in the adjacent WMA....

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
I have seen corn spread around for this reason before and wondered if that could possibly be legal. <SNIP>....

I'm not sure. Perhaps it is legal up 'til a certain time before deer season begins... I know that those who do it take care to "polish" off the hairs (rootlets) on the sweet potatos. The deer don't eat them, and the game wardens look for this sign of "deer baiting."

ebsi

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Baiting for deer is legal throughout all of the seasons in NJ.
The law was changed about 10 years ago, primarily as a result of heavy lobbying from the bow hunters.
The old baiting law prohibited hunting within 300' of a baited area, IF you were off the ground in an elevated stand.
If you were in a ground blind, you could use bait.
A few of the local clubs dump truck loads of corn and potatoes in the areas that they drive to keep the deer in the blocks that they hunt.
In a heavy acorn year like this one, bait is not that effective yet.
It really starts to pull them in when the food sources start to dwindle in late December and January.
I have tried baiting a few times and it really isn't worth the effort. Generally you attract smaller, younger deer. The mature deer quickly become "pile smart" and usually visit the bait at night.