A spring day in February....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
spent the better part of the morning looking for an old relic within the quail management area of Greenwood WMA.

The sky looked like a summer thunderstorm might be on the way.

3265051042_a49ac6f345_o.jpg

The relic was right where I last saw it many years ago.
The amazing thing was the lack of any shotgun pellet holes in it, lots of other holes though.

3264227737_f715039c30_o.jpg

I always thought it was a Ford, but the markings on the steering wheel(Ross Cam & Lever Steering) seem to indicate Jeep.

3265053934_91d06a9488_o.jpg

This switch(Royson) was attached to the steering column. A quick search didn't turn up anything; I'm thinking its for overdrive.

3264230329_7826c1473c_o.jpg

No speedometer, just a tach and engine gauges. The seat springs looked to be in pretty good condition.

3265054488_25f606ca49_o.jpg

From the lettering on the cab roof, it may be a state leftover from when the management area was put together. I have a call into a friend that worked on building it.

3265056016_1616b68270_o.jpg

A last look as we left. Tires were 20 inchers. The bed frame was made of wood, remnants were strewn about.

3265054866_ed5446ba0f_o.jpg

But for me, the highlight was 2 hen Bobwhite on the walk in. Not sure if they are leftovers from the last state stocking on December 31, or if someone has been stocking their own. The stocked birds usually don't last very long, especially with the weather we've had. Would have been nice to see a cock bird with them. I might go back with Cody and see what he can sniff up.

3265051590_d466f1ea6c_o.jpg

3265052094_bafb762c43_o.jpg

I was going to head to a location Tee told me of, but the warm sun had melted the ice turning the roads into pure mud.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very cool 46'r.

There is an area across the road on the East side of 539 that I found a newer truck cab. Its in a pretty wild area. Infrequently traveled.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It may have had a PTO such as a winch for pulling logs. The switch turned it on and off. In any event, a nice addition to the vehicle threads.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very nice. I don't recall ever coming across that one. It is amazing it is not shot up. Here is a pic of Guy going for a sunday drive in the (then) recently burnt over area of Warren Grove.

watermark.php

Jeff

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Very cool 46'r.

There is an area across the road on the East side of 539 that I found a newer truck cab. Its in a pretty wild area. Infrequently traveled.

A very nice section over there. Rarely see anyone except 4 wheelers and hunters during the season.

I stopped by Webbs and its still flooded, sure wish the state would bring down that beaver dam. They put it another drain culvert, its set way too high and does nothing. It's a pity, but it looks like that place is a goner. :argh:

611251693_b2cc838c3f.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Very nice indeed! But it would be nicer is you would shrink those photos down a bit... takes this page a long time to load and 1280 is kind of wide for the forums. :)

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I too spent the better part of Sunday hiking, exploring, and just enjoying the day with nothing more than a four-legged companion and my 5 senses to guide me.....just rambled in the direction that the 6th sense suggested. Suprisingly I saw few others on this gorgeous gift of a day. I am attempting to post a few pictures of the day. On Saturday sundown I was in a deep cedar forest looking over a maple swamp with fog rising from it. The "almost" full moon was coming up through the mist.....I'm going to head back there today. C'ya.

turtle

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/album.php?albumid=16

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Turtle,

I see you managed to get the painting as your avatar :) Nice!

Guy

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Thank you both! I'll figure my way around this site yet.....arggghhhh. Although.... for the past several months I have enjoyed listening to all of you. It will be a pleasure when I have the opportunity to share something equally as exciting.

spent the better part of the morning looking for an old relic within the quail management area of Greenwood WMA.

The sky looked like a summer thunderstorm might be on the way.

[

The relic was right where I last saw it many years ago.
The amazing thing was the lack of any shotgun pellet holes in it, lots of other holes though.

3264227737_f715039c30_o.jpg

I always thought it was a Ford, but the markings on the steering wheel(Ross Cam & Lever Steering) seem to indicate Jeep

No speedometer, just a tach and engine gauges. The seat springs looked to be in pretty good condition
From the lettering on the cab roof, it may be a state leftover from when the management area was put together. I have a call into a friend that worked on building it.

3265056016_1616b68270_o.jpg

A last look as we left. Tires were 20 inchers. The bed frame was made of wood, remnants were strewn about.

3265054866_ed5446ba0f_o.jpg

I was talking to a friend of mine today , He is the chief of A nearby Fire company and run's with (Truck C19) Forest Fire, I asked him about this Truck and he said it sounds like A (B section) truck that was caught in a head fire way back. He know's that they had left the truck where it was and he believed the truck's number was B14 (and that look's like B14 on the roof). The location he roughly gave sounds to be the general area this is said to be. I emailed the picture to him and he will get back to me in a couple of days.

I will let you know what he tells me either way.

( I think I saw that you posted it somewhere on here right)

I love the old vehicles. The fav for me is the old Datsun Z car I found by Old Half Way.

Me too, I have to find some old photo's from when I was a teenager. my friends and I found 4 or 5 car's from the 40's in the middle of the wood's. tree's where growing through them and all around them. Sometime I wouldn't mind tking a walk back there now to see if they are still there. I also want to take a trip back here in one of the swamps and take some pictures of the old plane wreck from 1969. theres not a whole lot left but there was still some there 2 years ago. On some of the pieces there was still writing from the investigation.