A stockpile of fill dirt

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
There are 2 loads of bank run sand in the Carranza Memorial parking lot and 3 at Carranza Rd and the Skit. There doesn't appear to be any work done yet but I can think of plenty of places to put it to use.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
That's when scarce, fine white sand is suddenly available, and people make a run on the banks in order to secure it.

:)

http://www.silvi.com/material_category/sand-gravel-products/bank-run/
LOL, good one.

Bank Sand is a fine-textured. It generally contains a percentage of clay and silt along with the greatest percentage of sand. Often Bank Sand can be classified as Sandy Loam. It can be light to medium brown or sometimes reddish in color. Bank sand is excavated from the local area.

I was thinking of road gravel or what I call packing gravel, but gravel has stones mixed in where as sand does not.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
I saw this weekend the fire service also fixed the coal road in bass river. They also have mounds of dirt left over.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I saw this weekend the fire service also fixed the coal road in bass river. They also have mounds of dirt left over.
I'm pretty sure that was the State Park Service maintenance people at Bass River SF, not fire service. They did several roads around Bass River SF: "Dump Rd", Dan's Bridge Rd, and the latest was Coal Rd. Whatever is left over will be used somewhere else.

When I was on Batona recently and came to Coal Rd, there was a tall, soft dirt pile right across the trail. I took a picture and asked if this was intentional - to block motor vehicles, or a joke, or just careless. Apparently they weren't done yet and maybe didn't realize that was the trail. I hope it's gone now. If it's still there next time I'm using my shovel and cutting a path through it.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
There are 3 new piles at Carranza and the Skit. Looks like that hole on Push Line will get done. The piles at the Memorial are untouched.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
:bang:Why don't they just put it in a hole?

I don't know if it was delivered by a contractor or a state vehicle. I would imagine the former if the pile has been sitting around a bit. I wouldn't expect a driver delivering the load to dump a little bit here, a little bit there, etc., still requiring leveling and compacting which he wouldn't be able do without other equipment. Dumping a tandem load all in one hole would replace the hole with a huge pile, blocking the road until whenever. I think that would annoy more people.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yes, they are delivered by a contractor and then moved by the state, but it's been long over due to place it.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I was on Dump Road in Bass River today and there were 5 or more piles at this location...
That's not fill dirt, though! It's wood chippings from the clear-cutting of the Lake Absegami dam. (Well, it was when I was there in July, and I assume it's still there because they didn't use it yet.) I think they were planning to spread it on some of the soggy spots on the Ballanger Creek trails, during a volunteer project day, but it didn't work out so they went and did some Batona Trail trimming instead.