A tick bite devastated a N.J. man’s life. Why are cases soaring?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
From the article: "Its bite is usually painless and goes unnoticed."

That's not true. It's also not true where they treat the lone star tick as just coming up from the north. It's been here for many, many years. I never liked NJ.com.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Two questions I have: how long does the tick need to be attached to transmit alpha-gal? Also, can larval stage lone star ticks transmit it?

With deer ticks, they say that the tick has to pick Lyme up from a host (they're not born with it), and the tick has to be attached long enough to engorge fully and then regurgitate back into the wound (some say 24 or more hours). How does this compare with lone star ticks and alpha gal?

Reactions: Gibby

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
So does everyone here have a solid program that they use to help prevent tick bites and insect bites in general? I guess here is as good as any place to have a discussion. I have used four products in the for years and have been successful at eliminating almost all bites. Keep in mind most of the time I am wearing shorts. Permethrin on foot wear and clothing. Ultra 30 (DEET) and Picaridin on any exposed skin. Those three are Sawyers products. Finally, Off active on a hat or towel to add to the layers of protection. It may seem a bit overkill but even with the Lymerix vaccine I would rather be safe than sorry considering what is out there that will infect us. I am curious to what others use.

Only deer flies will bother me when they are at peak but only a flame thrower can keep them away when they are out for blood.

Last edited:

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
So does everyone here have a solid program that they use to help prevent tick bites and insect bites in general?

I'm pretty darn careful about ticks, for both my kids and myself. If I'm not going off trail: light colored clothing, long pants, long socks, hiking boots. All treated with permethrin. Pants tucked into socks, shirt tucked into pants.

If there is any chance I'm going off trail or brushing against anything higher than knee-high: along with the above, I will also wear a long-sleeved white cotton shirt, also treated with permethrin. I'll occasionally lightly treat my hat with DEET or picaridin to keep off deer flies if they're bad, but don't get too concerned about ticks above neck level because I try not to drop my head to the level of vegetation.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I use permethrin and wear irrigation boots in brush. As far as deer flies, I've had great success with this Avon product. I spray my hat liberally, and put some on my face.

Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus IR3535® EXPEDITION SPF 30 Aerosol or Pump​

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I loved the NJPB - except for one thing, the ticks. I've had so many on and in me! I've been in other bad tick places, but the PB was the worst. I rarely if ever felt them on me. People with more sensitive skin may have.

My brother had Lyme disease.

I used to extract them with a bit of gasolene from a rag dipped in my car's gas tank. It worked good, but then they said "Oh no don't do that anymore!", plus you can't dip rags in modern car's gas tanks so easily.

They say they're out here in the Arizona desert too, but - knock on wood head - I've never got one here, that i know of anyway. I got snake bit in the desert, though, and NJ never did that to me.